Can a faulty shutoff solenoid cause a power loss?

20valve

Tired 215
I noticed my solenoid does not "click" or stay in the up position with the key on. It will come up some, but not stick in the up or "run" position. It starts and runs fine, at least I think. Can the shutoff lever, inbetween the run and stop position, cause a power loss? If I lift it up manually, it will lock in the run position like it's supposed to. I'll check the fuseable link and the relay to make sure they're working right. My biggest question, though, was if it could cause a power loss.

it deffinitly would as you wont get full fuel. I know if I only partially open my manual shut off my truck becomes a gutless wonder

Okay, here's some pics. I keep hearing about this fuseable link. Either I'm missing it, or it's one of these two wires, as this is all I have on the drivers side + terminal. Each one of the smaller wires runs to the grid heater and fuel shutoff relay, I'm guessing (correct me if I'm wrong). Also, what in the hell is this receptacle next to where the fuel relay plug goes? I couldn't find any loose connectors floating around.

DSC00359.jpg

DSC00360.jpg

On my truck one of the small wires in your first picture has a rubber sleeve around it that says fuseable link. I had some shut off solenoid problems during my latest pump swap and made sure to check that wire. My solenoid problems ended up being caused by a binding problem but that's another story. It almost looks as if that sleeve is missing on yours and is replaced with the electrical tape. Not really sure what the purpose of the fuseable link is sorry i'm not of much help.

If you want to see if your truck is missing power take the solenoid off, rig something to tie the pin in the run position, and then go for a ride.

Okay, theory of operation example here. I noticed it's only comes maybe 1/3 of the way up. On the fostertruck.com website, they said something about the solenoid not coming all the way up with the key in the "on" position, but it sounded like it was supposed to lock up when the "start" position was engaged on the key. From the way I understood it, it's a 2-stage system. 1/2 way up with key in "run", all the way up and locked when "start" is engaged. Or is it supposed to lock in the "run" position from the get-go? They have 2 circuits, a "pull" and "lock" diagram. Finally, which relay is which? The front or back?

The shutoff solenoid shouldnt move at all until you bump the starter with the key. Then, it should stay up until you turn the key off. You can also turn the key to the on position and raise the solenoid by hand. Sometimes the end of the shutoff solenoid's will get loose and not let it pull up all the way. I had to tack weld mine back together.

Eric

Well, it seems to work okay. I talked to a very knowledgeable person on this board today. Seems as though it's either up or down, no third direction. It used to stay in the half-on position with the engine running until I manually pushed it up. But when I got done driving today, I left it running and checked: all the way up. So apparently, it's intermittent. Sometimes it will go all the way up, sometimes it won't. The way I originally understood it was with the key "on", the solenoid comes halfway up. If you bump the starter, it locks in the up or "run" position. Hell, who knows. This thing felt like a rocket somedays, others it was hard to turn past 2500 RPMs. You could definetly feel the pedal difference, too which I'm guessing was the rack travel being limited.

Okay, here's some pics. I keep hearing about this fuseable link. Either I'm missing it, or it's one of these two wires, as this is all I have on the drivers side + terminal. Each one of the smaller wires runs to the grid heater and fuel shutoff relay, I'm guessing (correct me if I'm wrong). Also, what in the hell is this receptacle next to where the fuel relay plug goes? I couldn't find any loose connectors floating around.

DSC00359.jpg

DSC00360.jpg

This might be too late, but Mine is a 98 and two relays on the fire wall, but only one is hooked up.. It looks just like the ones in the pictures.. My buddy has a 97 and both his relays are hooked up.. What is the other one for??

Usually the shutoff relay and the fuel heater relays are on the cowl.

The solenoid will only pull up when the high amperage 'pull' circuit is energized. The 'hold' circuit does only that, it won't lift it up. When you feel your pedal is stiff, you are actually pushing up against the shut down lever inside the pump. When you let off the throttle, it probably drops down close to dying, and then comes back up to reg idle, yes?

My solenoid did the same thing when I first put it on the dually. Did the exact same thing. You can just pull the solenoid off (no need to wire it up, it automatically goes to the run position). I took the solenoid apart, cleaned it up, and has worked flawlessly since.

I have the opposite problem with mine, mine wont pull the solenoid up at all like its dead or something. Turn the key on and try starting it and nothing, always have to pop the hood, leave key on and manualy pull the lever up and she locks in, jump back in and fires right off what gives with this?? It just all of a sudden did it, started right up from work, shut trk off at the office, tried starting it again and nothing. Been manually lifting it for few weeks now, dont know whats wrong. I tested the solenoid by unpluging it and jumped it from the battery and works like a charm! Doesn't work when pluged it and all fuses for everything are perfect. any ideas??

I have the opposite problem with mine, mine wont pull the solenoid up at all like its dead or something. Turn the key on and try starting it and nothing, always have to pop the hood, leave key on and manualy pull the lever up and she locks in, jump back in and fires right off what gives with this?? It just all of a sudden did it, started right up from work, shut trk off at the office, tried starting it again and nothing. Been manually lifting it for few weeks now, dont know whats wrong. I tested the solenoid by unpluging it and jumped it from the battery and works like a charm! Doesn't work when pluged it and all fuses for everything are perfect. any ideas??

It is the relay in the picture on the firewall........... Mine was doing the same thing... I dang near wore out my hood hinges...:bang

ok thanks for the info. because im getting sick of always popping the damn hood to start the thing!

Back