Can someone tell me why?

probably just liked the truck on video. Most good tunes typically have no pilot

probably just liked the truck on video. Most good tunes typically have no pilot

I asked because I dont know. I assumed that there was some use to the pilot injection...
Im common rail stupid and just a little less stupid on the others.

the pilot is just there to help start the combustion event. With the larger injectors most use, it helps to eliminate that event to help prevent pre-combustion

Right. I understand what its for but what is the benefit of not using it?

I can't explain it as well as someone else may be able to but, cutting back on the pilot helps eliminate injector and/or combustion rattle due to pre combustion. It doesn't have any HP benefit either way.

Understood! Thanks for teaching an idiot something new.

I thought cutting back on pilot added to injection/combustion rattle? Hence, why this truck sounds like an old VP rig.

Sent from a Dumb Phone using Tapatalk 2

The faster fuel is injected the more hp is typically made, so if you inject the same amount of fuel in different amounts of time the shorter time will make more power. At least this is what I have seen personally.

I thought cutting back on pilot added to injection/combustion rattle? Hence, why this truck sounds like an old VP rig.

I'd say every truck is going to react different to it's tuning. Mine always had way too much pilot. Nothing could be done until EFI. Now, in several tunes it's there for the first few hundred rpm's and then cut out completely.

I'd say every truck is going to react different to it's tuning. Mine always had way too much pilot. Nothing could be done until EFI. Now, in several tunes it's there for the first few hundred rpm's and then cut out completely.

Ok. Makes sense now. Thank you.

The truck in the video is one of my personal trucks. That video was made when EFI first came out and people were asking about what they sounded like with no pilot. That is why I made the tune in the video, to show just how much control we had. On the practical side, the lack of pilot in the higher rpms under high load can lead to maintaining better rail pressure since there are less spikes from the injectors opening twice as much. Also, if you only run one event then you only have to deal with timing one shot. Most professional tuners will turn pilot off above 2400-2600rpms and 75ish mm3 of fuel. They do sound pretty neat running on a single event though. Pilot helps spool and smoke control down low so I have found that I like it in the lower rpms.

Lb7's sound pretty cool with no pilot injection :D

The truck in the video is one of my personal trucks. That video was made when EFI first came out and people were asking about what they sounded like with no pilot. That is why I made the tune in the video, to show just how much control we had. On the practical side, the lack of pilot in the higher rpms under high load can lead to maintaining better rail pressure since there are less spikes from the injectors opening twice as much. Also, if you only run one event then you only have to deal with timing one shot. Most professional tuners will turn pilot off above 2400-2600rpms and 75ish mm3 of fuel. They do sound pretty neat running on a single event though. Pilot helps spool and smoke control down low so I have found that I like it in the lower rpms.

This sums up alot. For me anyhow...

Mr.T- I bet that does sound different to say the least.

Last edited:
I can only wait for my pilot to go away, its the only hope I have.

Back