CB Antenna and RFI

F350-CAMPER

Any-one specifically have issues with a roof mount CB antenna and RFI in their PSD. I have a roof mounted antenna and a Ranger 2950DX radio. I seem to be getting all types of interfearence from injectors. Sounds like pump pressures going up and down, and the injectors firing. Not a fuel pump whine ike the F-150's have. And what was your resolution. Grounding.filters and such. Just want to know what someone else has done befor I get started...Anyone local in the Tampa area I sure would appreciate some assist, or a visual of your fix for this problem.....Thanks...Steve

i have a wilson 1000 mag mount on my cobra 148 gtl peaked and tuned and i have no problems. have you ever got your antenna tuned for your radio by a good cb shop?

Yes the radio is tuned and the antenna is a commercial low band antenna, wider bandwidth than the Wilson's claim to be. Flat SWR from 26-29 mhz. Positive no radio or antenna issue, it's all RFI from the injectors and apparently noise from the PCM. Going to rewire the radio this weekend from the passenger side to get away from the PCM, and grounding from engine,body,hood, cab, bed and the frame with braided grounding straps. Just looking for any other experiences s/a injector wires....Thanks

I get noise on my radio when tuned 1090 AM only when I have my foot on the fuel. So you're not alone.

Just for grins, have you tried a different radio? If your input section has some bad filtering capacitors, that could be a source of your problem. Worth a shot if you have a second unit around. Otherwise, plain filtering and solid grounding should be sufficient. Another trick, just to see if it's radiated noise would be to wrap the radio in foil, and ground that. If it goes away, then it's one of two things, REALLY high noise from the PCM, or the radio has lousy shielding. I have no idea what your radio is or looks like, so it's tough to guess that.

Back