Chain drive a p pump

lubeowner

Think it will work or gotta go belt?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 0
My two thought. How fast does a chain move on a crotch rockets doing 150? The #50 roller chain has like over 5000 pouns tensile strength. I think I will change it to cog belt if I can get this to mount and run.

It's been done 30 years ago, and works. On a engine that turns 6k. I would think the P has the potential to drive harder than the old suitcase Mack pump in this case though.

I had not been able to find any info if it had been done or not. I figured I would try it and see what happens. May be a complete failure, who knows.

It's been done 30 years ago, and works. On a engine that turns 6k. I would think the P has the potential to drive harder than the old suitcase Mack pump in this case though.

At full rack that would be a lot of load on that chain. How are you going to keep it timed as the chain stretches?

Last edited:
How much do you think the timing would change from hook to hook?

Not sure but when I use to ride a lot I would have to adjust the chain on my bike pretty often. Eventually having to cut links out.

Last edited:
Belt will take just as much of a whoopin and stretch like a chain. Except the belt weighs a ton less. Try getting it running on the chain and check everything between hooks and rounds. You just need a great tensioner on the slack side to keep vibration and whip down.

A lot of timing chain engines use chains that are 2-10ft long amd used to spin 8k or better rpm. Surely that will work just fine.

Google mf tractor with a druamax might give you some more ideals

Several years back I started this project for the 6.0. Then the American Ride was built with the 6.4. We built a dual pump setup and it pulled well. So the p pump was shelved. Now the 6.4 needs more fuel then 2 pumps can supply and I hate the electronics. So I got this back out. The Funks with Funkengrueven pull up here with Badger State. After seeing there setup I thought we can do something like that. The. The other day I was at the store and saw the gears and chain. So I thought "wonder if that would work?". So i had a buddy mod a couple parts laying around and this is where we are. We can always change it to belt but the chain is super fast and cheap to get pump mounts made. I guess I am gonna try this and see what happens.

You can get pretty exotic belts, that won't stretch(kevlar integrated in them) you don't have to deal with the oily mess of the chain etc.

It's a long ways away but here is the general idea now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 0
Back