Change 03 over to newer pcm to use EFI live

did you get a tipm with it? if not your dash still wont work.... and you need the trans harness for the truck to shift without a manual vb.

Got the dash in. The only other thing I need is a rear chassis harness and everything will be like a stock 06. Very easy job if you have everything.

Very easy would make it a few minute install, less than an hour. Most people don't want to take their truck completely apart to simply be able to tune it.

I guess I'm an over achiever or just dedicated then....... It took about 2 hours to change out the harness and dash minus the motor harness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This exact scenario reminds me of the Chevy guys trying to get an 07-up L92 and 6L80e to work in an older 99-06 truck. CAN BUS was the limiting factor in gettin the PRNDL, a/c request, and instrument cluster to work as well.

The simple solution for one company, was to piggy back the stock computer off of the newer model harness for sensor signal, and a/c duties only. Just a handful of wires. Both the motor and the truck were happy at that point.

IF the gauges are the only set back to swapping in an 06/07 ECM in to an 03-05 truck, could the stock ECM be retained just for the use of transmitting the sensor signal to the gauge cluster. Does the ECM in 03-05 actually send the signal to the gauge, or do the individual sending units send the signal to the cluster plugin like older cars?

Pardon my ignorance if any of my ideas are totally wrong. I have little experience with dodge/cummins electronics, but quite a bit for GM.

Agreed, swapping ECU's to get to a supported and "cracked" ECU is not un-common.

Another example is swapping a 2007-08 Acura TSX ECU into the 2004-06 TSX. The 2007-08 TSX ECU is Can Bus but the 2004-06 TSX ECU is SCI.

The tuning company (Hondata) had cracked the 2007-08 TSX Can Bus ECU & were working on the 2004-06 TSX SCI ECU.
But Hondata changed strategy & instead developed the ECU swap rather than try to crack the 2004-06 TSX SCI ECU.
They sell an adapter harness plus provide the instructions to swap in the supported ECU into the older cars.
This worked out brilliantly for Hondata as they have less ECU's to support.
Of course the fact that the ECU swap is fairly simple for this platform was a factor.

Hondata FlashPro 04-08 TSX

Perhaps this is something that EFI Live should pursue?
Instead of cracking the 2 different 2003-05 ECU's, just develop the swap of the 2006-07 ECU into the older trucks.

Note, my wife's car is a 2006 Acura TSX & I kinda modded it and flashed it when she wasn't looking!

Last edited:
Agreed, swapping ECU's to get to a supported and "cracked" ECU is not un-common

......Perhaps this is something that EFI Live should pursue?
Instead of cracking the 2 different 2003-05 ECU's, just develop the swap of the 2006-07 ECU into the older trucks......

I never understood the timeline to develop the 03-05s before the 2010+

From a business standpoint the 03-05 is a "dead platform" with a finite number of customers. The 2010s+ have new potential customers every day...

From a business standpoint the 03-05 is a "dead platform" with a finite number of customers. The 2010s+ have new potential customers every day...

Most race trucks out there are 03-05, not many guys cutting up 2010+'s to go racing.

Oh and yes you could piggyback the stock computer and the 06+ computer and make something work. This is what JSP does with his Nira conversion.

Last edited:

The 2010s+ Dodge Cummins topic brings up an interesting point.

Since EFI Live is currently not offering any "non-emissions" tuning for the 2007-2009 6.7L Cummins in the US, will EFI Live even offer anything for the 2010s+??

Back