Changed fuel filters now P0087

D Twigg

Starting to understand
Ok guys just changed the fuel filters in the bosses new to him truck at work, ran fine the whole day. Took it out that night parked it and came back out a little while later and it would only run for 2-3 seconds at a time and check charging system light came on. After a few minutes it finally started and ran with no check enigne lights. Parked it over night and next day truck started right up and ran good again. Later on it did the same thing only this time wit has a CEL of P0087. I looked around for info with not much luck, does anyone know what the problem is or what can be done to get this thing running. Truck is bone stock with 116k on it.

Thanks Twigg

If you did not use OEM filters, change them out with OEM and see what it does. If that does not fix the issue, then it is likely that it will need a HPFP. Not a fun job at all. If you got air in the system while changing filters it could cause that code. 6.4s are extremely sensitive to air in the system.

They were changed out with a napa filter kit. How would I go about getting any of the air in the system out. I've read about bleeding it from the fuel cooler and the rail but I'm at a wall when it comes to this new stuff.

Rule #1. NEVER use anything but Motorcraft filters on a 6.4 powerstroke.

Due to problems like you're currently experiencing.

The 6.0s had similar filtration problems and got a bad name from ignorant people and poor service habits.

Use quality service parts and procedures, have a quality ownershiply experience.

Last edited:
How come?

I know its a Ford video, but it is truth. It's been proven.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewhO1RtIP-Q"]6.0/6.4 Powerstroke Diesel Motorcraft filter comparison - YouTube[/ame]

Ok thanks guys. I'll replace the filters in the morning when I get them. What is the best way to go about bleeding the air with out the shrader valve tool I saw in a video I pulled up on YouTube?

A hose clamped to the azz of a tire chuck with a catch can on the end will work fine.

Last edited:
Any way for the banjo bolt? Forgot that part when I posted lol

Changed the filters today with Motorcraft filters and bleed the air out of the system. Truck started and ran fine. Went out a little bit later to go to lunch and truck wouldn't start until after it cranked over a few times. After got it going and warmed up stepped down on it and it spit sputtered and everything else. Took it back at the dealership now waiting to hear what they find wrong with it. I'm guessing the HPFP is no good on it.

Update- the dealer has found that the truck is still getting air into the system, after 2.5 hrs on the phone with ford tech and half or more of the day looking around the truck they have determined that the tank fuel filters and housings and lines underneath to the top of the motor are good and tomorrow there suppose to be tearing the top of the motor apart to look. They said that they've only ever seen anything like this in one other truck and it was an injector problem. Has anyone heard of anything like this?

Injector problem could be high return rate causing low rail pressure.

The issue has been solved. Apparently someone got the diesel tank and gas tank on the farm screwed up when filling them up the other day:doh:. Only about 12 gallons of gas got into the truck luckly and nothing was damaged.

No, when I changed the filters the first time I couldn't smell anything but diesel, not even a hint of gas. The mechanic at the dealership didn't even catch on to the gas smell until he was about to fall asleep that night after working on the truck all day.

Back