Changing fuel filters

Noreaster

Official beer tester
Im going to be changing my buddys fuel filters this weekend, Ive never messed around with a 6.0 so any help would be great.

You need a 36mm socket for the one on the frame, a 24 for the one in the engine bay and I think a 6mm hex key for the drain for the one on the frame.

Be sure to wear safety glasses to prevent getting any diesel splashed in your eyes.

I normally do the one on the frame first.
I pull the drain and let it completely drain.
Have a drain pan under the truck and try to stay as far away as possible and pull the drain plug.

Once it has finished draining, remove the filter cap (again try to lay under the middle of the truck and not under the frame rail to avoid getting diesel on you), and then remove the filter. Having rags handy to stick on the frame rail for any that comes out will help.
Stick the new filter in, replace the cap, replace the drain plug.

The one in the engine bay is simple, just remove the cover and replace the filter.

On both of them be sure to coat the new o-rings with some diesel fuel prior to install.

Once complete, I normally turn the key a couple times to let the pump run and then start the truck.

I have some pics to do a how-to.....I guess I should get on that :bang LOL

You will get diesel on you...I don't care what you do.

Another tip is make sure the truck is cold. Diesel does get hot.

What DC said and I also only get alittle diesel on my hands. I do it in the exact steps DC said and it works great.

my trucks drain plug is rusted and stripped(previous owner) so i get tons of diesel on my..... i always get air in my line if i dont put the frame filter in first then i take the top filter off(one on engine) and i bleed the system but turnin the accerory on several times until i see no more bubles coming up. then i put the tip filter in and tighten it up!

Back