Changing Oils Brands

SPEAKSUP

So hows everyone feel about changin oil brands in a truck thats ran a certain brand forever. Cause after Chases mishap the other night he made a valid point I run Rotella cause I can go get it a Walmart. Well I am running Brad Penn Grade 1 Green Oil. I have to order it in and etc. Its not easy to find in a time crisis which would leave me downtime in my truck.

Grandpa swore never to change brands unless you rebuild the thing just wondering what yall thought

i have changed brands several time from full synthetic to dino without problems.

I ran rotella, delo, amsoil, mobil 1, mobil delvac, redline, case no. 1, and jd +50. After 150k miles between 600-800hp, my cylinder walls and bottom end looked great. Change it at the proper interval, and I wouldn't suspect you'd have any problems.

I've run Valvoline Premium Blue, Valvoline Extreme Blue and Now Amsoil. No problems................ Yet! LOL

It is a fukkin Cummins, not a damn Maserati..... Just change the damn oil when you are supposed to and don't worry over the brand.

LOL good to see voiced opinions. IDK grandpa was always supersticious about it. Guess I will have to pick up some different oil.

The first thing to look for is the donut on the container of oil, this will show if it is approved by the API and SAE, if both are on the container your good. The first thing the API did once API was established was make a standard for every oil manufacturer to follow. That first standard was ALL OILS MUST BE COMPATIBLE WITH OTHER OILS. So know matter what oil you mixed with what it would work and not cause any type of damage.

Doesn't matter if it's a Lamborghini or a powerstroke, if it is approved by the API and has the proper SAE classification then your ok.

LOOK FOR THE DONUT

Now some high performance oils that are manufactured aren't approved by API and have different solvents and additives in them that haven't been approved. I believe Royal Purple has a couple race oils that do not have a API cert on them.

Your grandad was probably using oil back in the day before any oil requirements were around and switching oils or mixing oils wasn't preferred. All they cared about is if it was slick and lubricated.

Valvoline blue, rotilla, amsoil, now valvoline synthetic. 227k. >500hp. Zero problema to date. As long as they meet the same or higher standards you should be ok.

You just dont want to go from full synthetic back to conventional w/o swapping bearings and rings. However. Cummins dose not reccend breaking in an engine with full synthetic. The rings wont seat properly.

Once the motor is broke in you can swap from FULL SYNTHETIC to whatever you want and back to synthetic, it doesn't matter.

Again, all oils subjected to the API standards must be compatible with other oils, synthetic is just another oil just refined differently.

Synthetic oil is a MINERAL OIL the difference from a conventional oil is how it's processed and refined the actual oil molecule size is is filtered till MOST of the oil molecules are the exact same size. Which should get more oil molecules inside the hydrodynamic wedge because of the ability to spin faster and create more molecular friction.

Last edited:
Delo, rotella, synthetic, rotella, delo in that order. 218k miles and no issues.

Thing that worrys me is a mishap and I lose oil like Chase did the other night when they were testing big blue. My oil has to get ordered and come in etc.

When other brands are easier to get. Thanks for the info yall.

Order a extra oil change worth, or switch to something available at most auto stores.

Your Granddad was right- about 50 years ago.

Not switching is a wives tale, based in truth. If anyone has ever seen an engine run on old Quaker State for 100,000 miles, you would shiver just thinking about changing it to a high detergent oil.

Once the motor is broke in you can swap from FULL SYNTHETIC to whatever you want and back to synthetic, it doesn't matter.

Again, all oils subjected to the API standards must be compatible with other oils, synthetic is just another oil just refined differently.

Synthetic oil is a MINERAL OIL the difference from a conventional oil is how it's processed and refined the actual oil molecule size is is filtered till MOST of the oil molecules are the exact same size. Which should get more oil molecules inside the hydrodynamic wedge because of the ability to spin faster and create more molecular friction.

The statement that "synthetic oil is a mineral oil" is only partially true. Some "synthetics" are highly refined mineral oils and full synthetics are produced chemically.

synthetic blend that uses base stocks comprising conventional or hydroprocessed base oil in combination with severely hydroprocessed or synthetic (PAO) basestocks. The proportion of severely hydroprocessed or synthetic basestocks in semi-synthetic oil is a closely guarded secret, but is usually between 10% and 25%.

Full Synthetic motor oils contain a high proportion of base stocks created from pure chemicals.*Since synthetic base stocks such as PAO are essentially pure chemicals themselves they avoid the performance limitations imposed by the impurities present in conventional and hydroprocessed base oils.*PAO synthetic base oils are therefore pure compounds containing none of the impurities found in conventional base oils derived from crude oil, as mentioned earlier.

Chemically derived synthetic base stock technology allows the base oil molecules to be designed specifically for particular lubrication applications with purpose designed features such as the exact desired viscosity, superior viscosity stay in grade capability, low volatility etc.* Synthetic base stocks can also be specifically tailored to suit different additives required for different applications.*Additionally because synthetic oils are ‘pure’ they contribute lower emissions and are kinder to catalytic converters.*Synthetic oils can also be engineered to have less internal molecular friction allowing an engine to develop maximum power and provide best possible economy.

Synthetics can therefore be "tailored" to suit specific lubrication applications.*The molecular engineering that goes into chemically derived synthetic base stocks enable a base oil to be designed for a specific purpose.

Cool oil info for you

Last edited:
Back