Changing superstreet to a 10.5-10.9 index class

Super Street

Something needs to happen! This sport is not growing and it needs to. First and foremost they need to stop the double classing! All you get when people do that is a lot a breakage. This stuff will never grow until everyone can go rounds and not have broken by runs! The taking the tree and backing up because the guy is not in the other lane because he's broken. WE NEED TRUCKS AND CARS THAT CAN GO ROUNDS!!!!! I got out of Super Stree because I didn't like the way the class was going. I didn't complain I just built a new car in a different class. Super Street is not what it was intended to be. I got out because I was not going to cut up my truck that had 11k miles on it just to compete. I went to a different class but I see others just not racing beacuse they may not be able to switch classes or build a new truck/car. This is not big league yet, we as racers need to help new blood out and not run them out! If someone has 100K in there stuff to run 10's or even 9's they need there head checked out. Jeff

Something needs to happen! This sport is not growing and it needs to. First and foremost they need to stop the double classing! All you get when people do that is a lot a breakage. This stuff will never grow until everyone can go rounds and not have broken by runs! The taking the tree and backing up because the guy is not in the other lane because he's broken. WE NEED TRUCKS AND CARS THAT CAN GO ROUNDS!!!!! I got out of Super Stree because I didn't like the way the class was going. I didn't complain I just built a new car in a different class. Super Street is not what it was intended to be. I got out because I was not going to cut up my truck that had 11k miles on it just to compete. I went to a different class but I see others just not racing beacuse they may not be able to switch classes or build a new truck/car. This is not big league yet, we as racers need to help new blood out and not run them out! If someone has 100K in there stuff to run 10's or even 9's they need there head checked out. Jeff

Totally agree Jeff good post.

I'm bringing this up because in Montana I talked to 4 people that didn't want to.run superstreet simply because.they can't compete with "the rob coddins" of the class. I entered knowing I was bringing a knife to a gun fight.

If you make superstreet an index class.run anything as long as it meets safety rules your going to see that people will make more reliable stuff if they aren't.limited to 6000 lbs and don't have to make 1200HP to compete.

Then let pro street boys let it all hang out. let the sullivans, coddins, taylors, of the world let it hang out.

Last edited:
I guess the broad picture may be the way to look at it. What will grow the sport and get more sponsorship involved?. Is it another index class? I don't know, but some research could be done easily. I'm for the sport, and will change my entry if needed.

Like I have said people shun away to.running classes against truck like yours. You run 9s and make rounds which is damn impressive but I also know that turns allot of average folks away.

And to respond to the 8 second trucks running the 10.5 class... Maybe nhrda shouldn't allow double classing for.trucks.

I agree with Jeff with the trucks making rounds. I am so tired. Of going to a race and seeing 5 different trucks break the beams and back out, I understand it can't be helped but it would be super nice to see some races.

But I think trying a 10.50 class won't hurt. I mean I wanted to bump up to SS but I only had a mid 11 second truck at the time and I was scared to do it because I would get my doors blown off.

Its like baby steps

E.t to super diesel

Superdiesel to superstreet

Superstreet to prostreet

If any one of the classes is too big of a gap people will not enter I promise

Replacing superstreet with a yawn index class?? Man I love all things diesel but I wouldn't walk across the street to watch index class racing.

So you think two classes that both run similar times is a good idea? you don't have to weigh 4500 to be competitive...

It is a heads up class, and just like Super Street for the last 3 years you haven't had to be right at minimum weight, but to be competitive in super street now you certainly do. This will happen with pro street as well as this happens the time gap between pro street and super street will grow.

Even currently the top runners in super street run 9.5's at best, the top runners in pro street run 8.9's. That is over a half a second disparity at this level that is a huge gap.

I don't necessarily see that index as a bad thing as there are a number of displaced trucks right now. However it will also displace a few guys leading the pack currently.

I can't speak for Torrey, but I highly doubt we would turn this truck down and run that index, my assumption is we would build a pro street or pro stock truck at that point.

A bit more I want to add:

The other reason we like superstreet is that it allows us to build a truck that we can both sled pull with and drag race, by the time we get to a prostreet or pro stock it really isn't that feasible.

I think there needs to be a class between superstreet and super diesel, however from what I have seen there isn't enough trucks at events to support it. It is a catch 22 if you add the 10.5 index, then the super street field gets cut in half, and you probably loose 25% of super diesel trucks.

If you replace SS with a 10.5 index then you have guys that have spent a lot of money and time building a truck to be competitive in the current super street that all of the sudden don't have a place to race. Yes with our winter weight loss we could probably be competitive at local div 6 pro street races, but no way at Indy or at Worlds. That and the pro street class is going to continue to progress and get faster, stretching that gap even more. That leaves us to build a new truck $$$$ or slow way down, or just say forget it and go sled pulling and not bother with drag racing.

I am with Chris index racing is boring to watch from the stands in comparison to heads up, but heads up will always be a cubic dollars to win class.

Because I am just the guy drinking the beer, and not the guy footing the bill, I would have to say for the growth of the sport, a 10.5 index is probably a better class then the current super street. It allows more progression from the 11.90 class, and not the deep pockets that it takes to run super street.

I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before prostreet becomes an 8.60 or so index (being that 8.49 and quicker needs an SFI spec cage), I just pray that pro stock, and top diesel never become index.

So to make a long story short:
-For the team I am heavily invested into I don't want super street to change
-For the good/growth of the sport I think it needs too.

A bit more I want to add:

The other reason we like superstreet is that it allows us to build a truck that we can both sled pull with and drag race, by the time we get to a prostreet or pro stock it really isn't that feasible.

I think there needs to be a class between superstreet and super diesel, however from what I have seen there isn't enough trucks at events to support it. It is a catch 22 if you add the 10.5 index, then the super street field gets cut in half, and you probably loose 25% of super diesel trucks.

If you replace SS with a 10.5 index then you have guys that have spent a lot of money and time building a truck to be competitive in the current super street that all of the sudden don't have a place to race. Yes with our winter weight loss we could probably be competitive at local div 6 pro street races, but no way at Indy or at Worlds. That and the pro street class is going to continue to progress and get faster, stretching that gap even more. That leaves us to build a new truck $$$$ or slow way down, or just say forget it and go sled pulling and not bother with drag racing.

I am with Chris index racing is boring to watch from the stands in comparison to heads up, but heads up will always be a cubic dollars to win class.

Because I am just the guy drinking the beer, and not the guy footing the bill, I would have to say for the growth of the sport, a 10.5 index is probably a better class then the current super street. It allows more progression from the 11.90 class, and not the deep pockets that it takes to run super street.

I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before prostreet becomes an 8.60 or so index (being that 8.49 and quicker needs an SFI spec cage), I just pray that pro stock, and top diesel never become index.

So to make a long story short:
-For the team I am heavily invested into I don't want super street to change
-For the good/growth of the sport I think it needs too.

so you would rather watch a 9.7 truck race a 11.1 truck rather than a straight up drag race to 10.5 with maybe only half a truck separating most races? Still a pro tree Ect. That too me is exciting and allot of people in the stands seam.to enjoy the 11.9 class because the races are so right.

That's just my opinion tho. And I do see where you are coming from on your other points about building the trucks multi purpose.

The other thing you gotta look at is any race you go to that's nhra is all bracket classes... Now that's boring imho. They do have some 10.9 index classes which is fun to watch as well.

So what do we run superstreet as a bracket class ranging from 9.0 to 10.99? Prob not but something to chew on

Slow lets slow down the super street class so others can compete.

Might as well tell Seth and Team green they can't go that fast as the other pro street trucks can't compete at their level. Too much money, time, and good ideas needed.

Well Dan's dragster is 2 seconds faster than Jeff. We can't have that now can we? Dan you are not being fair and it'll take too much to catch you, so we are going to slow things down.

My kid is not smart enough to pass 7th grade, we should not have such hard classes. He he can't pass, then no one should. I don't want to work hard, so I don't think anyone else should either so lets have a national holiday 300 days a year.

Just having some fun...

Slow lets slow down the super street class so others can compete.

Might as well tell Seth and Team green they can't go that fast as the other pro street trucks can't compete at their level. Too much money, time, and good ideas needed.

Well Dan's dragster is 2 seconds faster than Jeff. We can't have that now can we? Dan you are not being fair and it'll take too much to catch you, so we are going to slow things down.

My kid is not smart enough to pass 7th grade, we should not have such hard classes. He he can't pass, then no one should. I don't want to work hard, so I don't think anyone else should either so lets have a national holiday 300 days a year.

Just having some fun...

Not saying that either rob.

You dominate superstreet but because of that we are loosing racers imho

I'm going right now to the race track to race my stock, 13 second, daily driven diesel against gassers. Back to just having fun which is what brought me here. Racing in my mind, is doing the best you can with what you have. Enjoying the event, meeting new friends and hanging with old ones. I don't win as much as I'd like, it's racing.

Racing

Dan's car is not 2 seconds faster and if it was I don't care. To me it's the challenge to race faster cars and not be the big fish in the little pond. I went to that class to get away from the BS! Remember Rob how said you have to go rounds? How many times has the Dan's car beat me? I can and will go faster but I have run all YEAR and not done anything to the car other than a blown up cp3 pump. That to me is how you go racing. I was young and worked none stop day and night to race the next race or next round but I would like to think I race smarter now. I really doesn't matter to me how S/S works out but I have been there and it's not working. This stuff doen't get bigger with a few trucks running different classes and calling it good.

I'm going right now to the race track to race my stock, 13 second, daily driven diesel against gassers. Back to just having fun which is what brought me here. Racing in my mind, is doing the best you can with what you have. Enjoying the event, meeting new friends and hanging with old ones. I don't win as much as I'd like, it's racing.

not starting any wars, just a question, is it fun for you to run a 9.39@149 againest a 11.1@122 truck, or do you turn down your truck to a 10.5 so the race seems more like a race, also do you think its fun or do you think the guy next to you truly leaves it all on the track when he knows he only has a 10.9 truck and you blow the doors off him at will. like i said not starting any fights, just wondering if you'd have more fun if you turned your truck p and ran a 9.5 truck, heads up looking over your shoulder knowing you only have a fender on him.

just saying

how bout turning SS into a heads up 10.50 and slower and super duper street to 10.49 and faster?

i think that would turn into 10.5 bracket class but more people would be interested in running WFO and a better of a chance of winning

i know it sucks when your in a 10.XX truck against a 9.XX truck and only hope of winning is a red light or the other guy breaks....bad way to think but only options

One more thought on this:

Daryl Bruneau's 10.1 truck beat Brian Spooner's 9.5 truck, as Brian was caught asleep at the tree. Daryl's 10 second truck went on to win the Edmonton event despite the fact that there were 3 trucks running well into the 9's that day.

Same at the Mission race, Shawn's 10.3 truck won it, despite Brian running a pair of 9's that day as well.

At this point it is still consistent 10 second trucks that can go rounds that are winning events.

No an 11 second truck is not competitive in SS, but a 10 second one still wins more often then not. Every year the winning time falls a little bit, and next year it may take a consistent high 9 to win SS.

I personally like how SS trucks are getting faster. there are three 9 seconds trucks I know of and probably a few more next year. didn't that twin ppump guy run a 9 as well if so thats 4 and i think that josh gruise? guy ran a very low 10 last year. Devon is not far away and isn't vmax right there as well? i am hoping to be close to or in the 9's next year and i am sure there are more, stelly is close too i think.

the class will continue to get more competitive in the future, there are enough of us who want to go faster rather than slower.

Like I've said, I love the class and don't want to see it changed. Knowing there's guys out there like Rob,Brian and so on keeps me wanting more,

But there is a gap to be filled, however until we see a constant truck count of 75 plus at each event, there's not enough room to be splitting everyone up

I just fear that if you don't bridge the gap soon that its going to keep people from building super street trucks.

The 11.9 class took about a year to get off the ground but now its a pretty big class.

Somethings gotta give guys maybe getting rid of super street as heads up isn't the answer but a 2 second gap between classes isn't right either

Back