Chasing 12's and John_P

iracemx6

After several months of talking on the phone and on the net I finally had the priviledge of meeting John Porterfield in person and all I can say is he one hell of a nice guy:Cheer:
We also got to do a little racing and John helped me break into the 12's for the first time.We did 3 runs and our final run was my fastest.
John's #'s
1.94...60'
8.46...1/8@83.95
13.13...1/4@105.62

Me
1.75...60'
8.21...1/8@82.11
12.96...1/4@103.24

I had a better ET on 2 runs and John still beat me:bow: due to his mph,but it really doesn't matter.I got to meet a super nice guy and make a new friend and can't wait to do it again.Thanks John!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
sweet !!! now we just need to dial your truck in so we can get you into the 12's on fuel..... hmmm what is coming next week

I run at Coastal last night,but usually run at Kinston since I only live 10 miles from it.
bones said:
you run at kinston or coastal,nice times

John P is a great guy, I hope to meet him in person one day myself. Congrats on the times too!

iracemx6 said:
I run at Coastal last night,but usually run at Kinston since I only live 10 miles from it.
very nice times,hey would you be interested in coming to obx for a little heads up street diesel racing,not much of a payout but perhaps a big trophy for first... those 1/8th mile times of your will go down by at least a .1 or more at obx...

Sure I'd love to just let me know when.
Don't know how competative I will be with all those fast Dmaxes around there,but I'm game.
I did want to clear up one thing though on my times.
I just installed an upgraded turbo housing and wheel and those times were with a pretty basic file.
I'm hoping that when we get the tuning worked out those times will drop.
bones said:
very nice times,hey would you be interested in coming to obx for a little heads up street diesel racing,not much of a payout but perhaps a big trophy for first... those 1/8th mile times of your will go down by at least a .1 or more at obx...

Thanks!!! John and I had an awesome time Saturday night and we put on a side by side show for 3 runs.

John is one of the coolest guys I have ever met.I hope to hit some of the events with him this year.

ob1kobi said:
John P is a great guy, I hope to meet him in person one day myself. Congrats on the times too!

Much respect for Mr. Porterfield, he is a stand up guy!! Glad to see y-all had some fun!:drive:

Congrats on the 12's,

I also have had the opportunity to get to know John Porterfield. We met back about five or so years ago and I only see him a couple times a year. He's the sort of guy that feels like he's your best neighbor whenever you think of him or see him at an event. At any event he's at, you'll usually find him giving up his time, going out of his way to help someone. Often someone he may have just met. That's John everyday.

You'll search long and hard to find a man who is more passionate about the people and things he cares about. If you could ever pick out the qualities you'd want in a friend, just look up stand up, true to the core, genuine, sincere, respectful, how can I help you, etc. and you'll find a picture of John. There was a new mold made for men who earn respect when John was built.

If ya'll haven't met John and get the opportunity, go out of your way to introduce yourself and experience the famous John P handshake. You won't forget him.

Yep....John Porterfield is my friend, something which I place great value on.

Cousin Billy

Very well said and very true!

I never posted it,but my father passed away March 23rd of this year at 60 years old and John spent alot of time on the phone with me just listening to me talk about what I was dealing with and was genuienly concerned about how I was doing and had never met me.

When we decided to meet at Coastal Saturday night to run he was already there when I drove up and he was standing at my door just as soon as I stepped out waiting to shake my hand.

My Dad always taught me that when you shake someones hand you look them in the eyes and give them a FIRM handshake because it is a sign of respect and that's what you get with John.

I have also never met HEINZBOY(Toby),but I talked to him the same day my Dad passed and he offered to fly to North Carolina from Texas if there was anything me or my family needed and that really meant alot to me.

Cousin Billy said:
Congrats on the 12's,

I also have had the opportunity to get to know John Porterfield. We met back about five or so years ago and I only see him a couple times a year. He's the sort of guy that feels like he's your best neighbor whenever you think of him or see him at an event. At any event he's at, you'll usually find him giving up his time, going out of his way to help someone. Often someone he may have just met. That's John everyday.

You'll search long and hard to find a man who is more passionate about the people and things he cares about. If you could ever pick out the qualities you'd want in a friend, just look up stand up, true to the core, genuine, sincere, respectful, how can I help you, etc. and you'll find a picture of John. There was a new mold made for men who earn respect when John was built.

If ya'll haven't met John and get the opportunity, go out of your way to introduce yourself and experience the famous John P handshake. You won't forget him.

Yep....John Porterfield is my friend, something which I place great value on.

Cousin Billy

iracemx6 said:
After several months of talking on the phone and on the net I finally had the priviledge of meeting John Porterfield in person and all I can say is he one hell of a nice guy:Cheer:
We also got to do a little racing and John helped me break into the 12's for the first time.We did 3 runs and our final run was my fastest.
John's #'s
1.94...60'
8.46...1/8@83.95
13.13...1/4@105.62

Me
1.75...60'
8.21...1/8@82.11
12.96...1/4@103.24

I had a better ET on 2 runs and John still beat me:bow: due to his mph,but it really doesn't matter.I got to meet a super nice guy and make a new friend and can't wait to do it again.Thanks John!!!!!!!!!!!
----------
David:

Sorry for the delay in getting here to post. Our phones were out here in our area AGAIN due to some IDIOT cutting another phone line! They are installing high speed cable in our area and because of the cut line I could not even get on the Internet.

David, it was a true pleasure to have finally met you too!:rockwoot: Thanks alot for all your kind words and believe me the feeling is mutual! I had a great time at "Coastal Plains Dragway" running against you and all I have to say is you have one heck of a great running Ford 6.0 PSD! The members here may not see it from the times, but our last race was VERY, VERY CLOSE!! As a matter of fact, I thought you had me near the end buddy! There could not have been more than a half a truck between us, so IMO it could have gone either way.

Hopefully I can get up to Kinston soon and race there with you. As fast as your truck is going I think I better drive my 96' there!:hehe:

Again,......it was a great to finally have met you David!! Thanks for coming out to the drag strip.

------
John_P

Billy, Ted and Jeff:

Thanks for all your kind words too!:rockwoot: Billy, you have always been a good friend to me and like you I value that very much!:rockwoot: Believe me, the feelings are mutual! I will never forget that first ride you gave me in your truck at that BMD get-together a few years ago! That truck ABSOLUTELY flew!! You were one of the ones that convinced me how well the old HX-40/16 could work on the 12 valve trucks! I ran those turbos for several years with absolutely no problems based on running the boost right where you told me to put it. Thanks for that and all the "comraderie" we have had over the years.

Jeff and Ted,......I look forward to meeting you both one day real soon!
It is a great thing to finally meet guys like all of you in person after you have established a "friendship" here on the diesel internet websites like CompDiesel.

One thing for sure guys, as you probably well know, COMP 461 is going to be sick after reading all of this!:hehe: As you know he thinks myself, Jeff and Lewis are all "bovine defecation!":hehe:

Again,....my thanks to all of you for the kind words!;)

---------
John_P

Need to clear up one thing with my tuning.

The file I run those times with are with DJ's Looney file tuned for my 190cc injectors,but not with my new turbo wheel and housing.

DJ told me there is more left in the tuning and the truck should get faster.

I have not met John in person yet, but would like to some day. I did not realize that he was at an event back in April, had I known I would have looked for him. I've seen him on DTR and always thought of him as one of the good guys. Glad he's over here. Hope to meet you sometime, John!

CumminAtYa said:
I have not met John in person yet, but would like to some day. I did not realize that he was at an event back in April, had I known I would have looked for him. I've seen him on DTR and always thought of him as one of the good guys. Glad he's over here. Hope to meet you sometime, John!
----------------
CumminAtYa:

Hey buddy, I would like to meet you sometime too! I will be at the Clay City, Ky. DHRA Event this coming weekend with my good friends Jimmy and Dale Smith helping them with their Pro-Street Truck. If you plan on attending, come on over and see us!

Take care.

---------
John_P

Back