cheap big cube IH combos

22xRacing

basically just curious as to what all combos people know about to bring a 466 up in cubes...pry looking to go 600-640 range

i've heard of jd 407 rods and case pistons and jd liners, don't know how much machining is involved

and ik they make kits to do this but i figured it'd be cheaper to source out parts

if you have a need for 600ci you better get billet rods so no matter how its done it wont be cheap.

Why stop at 640, you can take a 466 block to 700 if you want. There will not be anything cheap about it though. One off pistons, rods, sleeves, etc will be in order.

If you think you need to go to big cubes to make power you got something wrong. Look up "Little Bad Allis" owned by Bernie Platz, one of the smallest cube super stock tractors in Illinois and also one of the most competitive.

Why stop at 640, you can take a 466 block to 700 if you want.

If you think you need to go to big cubes to make power you got something wrong. Look up "Little Bad Allis" owned by Bernie Platz, one of the smallest cube super stock tractors in Illinois and also one of the most competitive.

Most classes are limited by 640 (superstock, superfarm) or 680 cubes (prostock).

If he is going to run a large single charger, then yes, he will need big cubes. Superstocks can run up to 4 chargers...quite a bit different than running one.

To the OP:

Head over to pulloff.com. That is where most of the tractor guys are, but I don't know how much information they would readily share. I don't know about cheap piston/rod/sleeve combos for the IH, but to my knowledge, most guys are running "kits" with aftermarket rods, pistons, etc.

the ih 407 rod is 8.75 and is a common rod used in superfarm.

a 6in crank and a 4-3/4 bore will take you to 638 and that is a common setup in a ih

thanks j-rod and gotta...i have been over at pulloff(where i got the combo in my original post from) just seein what a few other forums could come up with

most likely we'll end up buying someones old set-up off of pulloff

that 638 combo sounds good, rather go that then spend money and build a high 500's or 600 cube motor and still be leaving something on the table

Back