Cheap/Easy HE351 modifications?

I also found a 3" to 2.75" reducer ic boot with a 45* bend from silicone intakes that was like 30$ and was the only ic boot I needed to connect the compressor to the ic pipe - 2nd gen truck though. I just loosened the bottom boot on the passenger side so I could play with the alignment of the ic pipe and fine tune clocking the comp cover and it works. I tossed the comp cover alignment pin. I do have to unhook the discharge on the compressor to change the oil filter though.

Cummins oil drain plug. They have them hanging in one of the aisles usually. It's also the same thread as a dv holder.

Right here. I think I had to cut a 1/4" off the bottom of the plug. It's been a few years since I did mine

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 0
Bolt it on and have fun. The VE loves this turbo. I did 350/780ish in 4th. I pushed it way past it's map, I clamped the gate and told the dyno operator to give it all it has. I used to push the poor thing to 50 psi and it kept on ticking, every day. I sold it off to a local VE truck, when I pulled it it was tight and spun just fine.

Throw some small injectors, mess with the free pump mods, grind the pin, add timing, (try to find a timing spacer) better lift pump and go hurt some Honda's feelings.

My Dyno numbers were the same with stock injectors and the truck in overdrive. Now I'm blasting mine with 026s and 5x.016s - instant boost. I bet it's over 400hp now but I'm moving up to either a 64,66, or a new 69sxe as soon as I get a little more cash

I hurt my coworker's feelings with mine. Stock injector 12 valve with the 351 beating his Spartan tuned(300hp early lock) 6.4. We were both surprised . Given his truck is 8500 lbs and on 38s. Still though the look on his face almost made me feel bad lol. 45-90 roll every time.

My Dyno numbers were the same with stock injectors and the truck in overdrive. Now I'm blasting mine with 026s and 5x.016s - instant boost. I bet it's over 400hp now but I'm moving up to either a 64,66, or a new 69sxe as soon as I get a little more cash

I was running DDP 4's at that time, 56LPM?ish (long time ago I think that was their number), gasket matched head and stock gasket matched exhaust manifold. Carter electric lift pump, 1 tooth on the pump and pushed to the head, stock gen 1 intercooler. Normal VE pump mods and my own grind on the fuel pin. Stock valve springs, I'd hate to see how much they were floating and would cry seeing the drive pressure..... ignorance is bliss!

At any rate, bolt the turbo on and have fun. Much better than the stock one with the huge housing. At a minimum upgrade the lift pump, and supply lines. The stock lift pump is good enough in stock form, after that it struggles to keep fuel to the VE.

Right here. I think I had to cut a 1/4" off the bottom of the plug. It's been a few years since I did mine

Excellent. So it needs to be 1/4" shorter than standard length?

Is the solenoid worth anything?

90 degree silicone works alright till you throw a load at them. I blew one going up a 4 mile or so big hill. They don't like all the heat blowing right on them.

How much slower does the 351 spool with the bigger exhaust wheel?

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/bending-reducer/bending-reducer-p-904.html

I believe this is the one I used. I also bought a t bolt clamp for the 2.75" end. I'd double check the size of the outlet on the 351.

When used the oil pan plug I also made sure to plug the little hole off to the side (but inside the bigger hole) - I read a write up that said there can be boost leaks even if you use a plug for the opening. Some used a ball bearing, I used some cold steel epoxy. 30k miles on it so far

I too have blown up several angled silicone boots, they don't like extended periods of high boost like towing up a big hill, multiple dyno runs back to back, loaded towing simulation runs on the dyno, or multiple drag strip passes.

Short term on the road, the angled boots will last a while, especially if you don't run them at 45 psi or higher.

That's where mine is gated - low 40s and nearly 30k miles on the boot. It hit 50 on the Dyno with my 5x.010s and the gate tightened shut. I put some 5x.016s in and it instantly builds boost if I stage the truck in 4hi. I threw the zero plate back in and snugged up the afc.

I'll be swapping this 351 out for a 64, 66 or a new 369 .

Back