Cheap helmet??

Craig_C

Resident Smartass
Anyone know where to buy a snell helmet on the cheap?? Id prefer an open face style. My local track is very strict on rules, so Id say they would go as far to check for snell rating.

I will be going to the track very rarely, so I cant see spending a load on a helmet I will rarely use.

While mine is full face, I have been pleased with my HJC, it was relatively inexpensive but has held up well (padding holding up, paint decent, etc). Got it at helmetcity.com

What Snell rating are they requiring? If "M" is OK, they're all over the place.

The "M" standard is for motorcycles, most likely "SA" standard would apply in this case.

You sure you really want them two words in the same sentence?

That's just comin from someone that's had two skull fractures...

You sure you really want them two words in the same sentence?

That's just comin from someone that's had two skull fractures...

Yep, Im sure. Most people drive faster everyday than I will be going....and I dont see any of them wearing high dollar helmets.

No one said "most people" are smart! :p

Do your best to be safe! If there is anything "safe" in what we do lol!

Snell rating means the same if its a $50 helmet or a $500 helmet. Sure some are safer, more comfy, lighter, cooler colors, etc....but does more money spent make it a safer product?

M or SA will be fine. M will be cheaper. The pro's (TF, FC, etc) are required the SA or an SFI type helmet. I am not saying you're not a pro, but you can get away with an M 2005or newer. I am a NHRA tech inspector and that is the oldest helmet we allow. Pretty sure that goes for IHRA also

M or SA will be fine. M will be cheaper. The pro's (TF, FC, etc) are required the SA or an SFI type helmet. I am not saying you're not a pro, but you can get away with an M 2005or newer. I am a NHRA tech inspector and that is the oldest helmet we allow. Pretty sure that goes for IHRA also

Yeah Im far from Pro at anything I do!!

Looking for a helmet shouldn't include the word cheap in the same sentence. Safety 1st!!

Im looking for a dirt cheap, piece of crap helmet!

Used in a few violent rollovers is fine as long as it has cool stickers on it.

Damn guys Im not John Force here. You really thing that a more expensive item is always better or safer??

I got mine from a local motorcycle shop. I think it was around 200 bucks

Damn guys Im not John Force here. You really thing that a more expensive item is always better or safer??

Never said that. Just don't skimp on safety. Ask me how I know?

Being someone who races, rides motorcycles, and bicycles, and has a whole assortment of helmets. I can tell you that more expensive,usually means it's a better helmet.

It's not hard to spend a lot on a cheap helmet, but it is hard to buy a good helmet cheap.
But.... People that buy cheap helments, usually have hard heads, so maybe it balances out :hehe:

Ive worn a few helmets, raced GNCC and a little moto-x. The best helmet I ever had was a fairly cheap unit. It was light, comfy, and had the same safety rating as other helmets 2-3x its price.

NHRA requires a rating for a reason. Helmets either meet that rating or they dont, regardless of the price.

Meeting minimum requirements just means it "acceptable".
To some best = "comfy", to others best = does a good job of preventing concussions.

That monster truck driver that just ran over all of those people probably had on a comfy helmet.

Last edited:
Back