Chirp/screech in front of engine

MegaCabRam

I mentioned it in my other thread but i called it a tick, when i really listen to it its more of a chirp or screeching noise. imagine taking a nail to a chalk board but in rhythm with the motor. Ive got the truck for sale and i want to get it figured out before i get rid of it, i dont think its anything serious but it drives me crazy. Its not all that loud and the best place to hear it is right in front of the truck down level with the radiator. I would swear it was a belt or tensioner making the noise but i took the belt off and it still did it. It seems to be related to #1 cylinder, when you kill the injector its still there but just barely... Any ideas?

Last edited:
[ame]http://vid1040.photobucket.com/albums/b406/scottsvilleautorepair/cummins_zpsdex28v3m.mp4[/ame]

I can't hear sh!t in that video... well except for ignition knock, and valve train. Maybe somebody else can. I listened on good speakers too.

Yea I didn't figure so, I can hear it but I know the sound I'm listening for...

Does it happen when the ac compressor kicks on? If so check the tensioner.

I can't make out the noise either. With you saying it nearly goes away when you kill #1 would have me looking at the valve train.

I just adjusted the valves and retorqued the head studs and I wouldn't swear to it but I almost feel like it's worse now than it was before the valve adjustment.

Last edited:
You saying that makes me suspect valve train even more.

Stock camshaft?

Last edited:
Try using a wood handle (hammer handle) push on the rocker arms on the push rod side. See if the noise goes away.

Pull the front cover and see if the cam gear is walking out and hitting front cover
Had this happen on a customers truck made a funky noise

I can hear the noise faintly in the video. It sounds like metal on metal contact. Almost like two metal rods tapping or rubbing against each other.

I went back and torqued the manifold bolts, they were all a little loose bit that didn't change nothing.

I was kinda thinking about the cam walking as well, I hope that's not the case but it could be worse.

Most of you probably won't hear it in this video either but seems like I can hear it a little more than in the other.

[ame="http://s1040.photobucket.com/user/scottsvilleautorepair/media/20150801_143821_zpswyvkuzik.mp4.html"]20150801_143821_zpswyvkuzik.mp4 Video by scottsvilleautorepair | Photobucket[/ame]

I've tried everything today except for pulling the cover and i cant find anything wrong. I've let everyone i know listen to it and nobody thinks its anything serious but then they have no idea what it is either... Im thinking more about the cp3 phasing but then i dont really understand the theory behind it, if thats all it is then im not worried about it but ill never know till i try it.

Well I found my problem! I finally just went back to what i had done and pulled the fluidampr back off and put the stock dampner back on, the noise is gone...

20150811_104934_zpss4fewyo9.jpg

20150811_105006_zpsuzfyjuyf.jpg

I can't figure out what it was hitting? If im thinking right the tone ring is the only thing it could be but even then its turning with the dampner... im just glad i finally figured it out.

Last edited:
Back