ChroMoly axles shafts for the 9.25 AAM

ENafziger

Is there anyone offering chromoly inner axles for the 9.25 AAM front axle?

The only reasonable place I've found selling the axles is: AAM 9.25 Front Drive Axle : Mad 4 Wheel Drive, but they are stock AAM replacements, and include the inner/outer/u-joint assembly.

I'm still trying to get this front end together from the alaska adventure...

--Eric

they have a yukon axle for them

Thanks for the link. Haven't I read on hear of the Yukon shafts actually snapping easier than the stockers due to being more brittle? Or am I thinking of something else?

--Eric

Ok, well if anyone's interested, I found some 4340 inners! Purchased through diffsonly.com for only $138/each.

Typical Yukons are 1541 steel, which I presume is what I've heard of snapping. They've recently stepped it up..way up...and offer a 4340 chromium molybdenum nickel alloy with a lifetime warranty.

--Eric

My brother and I have designed some 300M axel shafts for AAM 11.5 and 9.25... just waiting to get time on the machine to cust them..

Are the 4340s induction hardened, or just case hardened?

Got a photo of the spline/shaft transition, and a side by side of both new shafts?

Are the 4340s induction hardened, or just case hardened?

From what I understand, they are actually dual heat treated (through-hardened in an oven) to a consistent 46 - 51 Rockwell. They are part of Yukon's new "Hardcore Axle" line all featuring the American Made 4340 Chrome Moly axles. There doesn't seem to be a tremendous amount of info out yet on them, or at least what I could find in my 5 minutes of looking.

I don't have them in-hand yet, but they should be here in the next couple days.

My brother and I have designed some 300M axel shafts for AAM 11.5 and 9.25... just waiting to get time on the machine to cust them..

I would've loved to have some 300M shafts front and rear, and still would if the price is right. However, the set I found by CTM for Dana 60 fronts were upwards of $3500!! Based on that price, I didn't even call to see if they had an application available for the AAMs...especially after finding the 4340's for $138 each.

If you could get the 300Ms made for a somewhat reasonable price, I may be interested. From what I understand about these alloys (which is limited), the 300M must be heat treated in an vacuum furnace to make them correctly, which significantly adds to the cost.

I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with!

--Eric

Well shoot...back to square one. They just emailed and said the shafts are on backorder for 6 - 12 months. That makes me wonder if they've even been released yet!

So, when did you say those 300M shafts were going to be done? LOL

--Eric

Can you MAKE them with SPICER joint series sizes, the aam joints S U C K.....

Thanks for the help guys. It looks like there's no option available right now for anything better than 1541 shafts for less than $1500.

I ordered some of the Yukon 1541s for about $300 for the pair. Maybe the 4340s will come to market in a year or so...

--Eric

Back