Clear the air please!

ROSKOE115

SLICKER THAN A FRESH BASS
Alright guys, I have searched and can not find what I am looking for.

2006 common rail, 63-68-12, SSR, Triple disc converter with billet go fast parts and 4wd. What is better for drag racing? ATS CO. Pilot, or good old fashion lockup switch?

We are arguing pro's and cons at the shop and need some professional assistance.

Thanks in advance!

does the co-pilot not control shift points? that seems easier to dial in-

obligatory MVB 47RH-

I say switch. Its cheaper and probably more consistent due to lack of variables that the co pilot reads off of.

I just have my copilot reading off speed (TPS and boost not hooked up) so I would think the consistency would be in the co pilot always locking at xx speed as oposed to a switch having human error.

That is a good point. I have never put one in and I hear it is a PITA. So if you hook it up on just speed, what features do you loose?

Mine locks at any 5 mph increment from 15 to 55 I think it is and unlocks 5 mph lower than the set point.

Install was NOT a fun experience. I had a lot of troubleshooting in my install also as the convertor would lock whenever the tst was turned on at any speed.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear since I am getting suckered into installing this thing.

Here's everything I've found:

After months of phone support I finally met with ATS at Indy a few years ago. They were supposed to rewrite their instruction manual but instead of hooking the ground to the engine harness we hooked it to the battery and has been flawless ever since.

I didn't like the feel with the boost signal hooked up.

I could never get my voltage adjusted in my TPS so that when I let off the throttle that the "engine braking" function would work. It would just lock and unlock the convertor as I slowed down.

Alright that makes since. These are the things I need to know so I can hook this thing up and not have any problems. Thank you sir!

I just have my copilot reading off speed (TPS and boost not hooked up) so I would think the consistency would be in the co pilot always locking at xx speed as oposed to a switch having human error.

If your tranny is setup to not lock in 1st gear its a snap to be consistent. Just flip the switch before staging and after the truck is in 2nd gear it locks up the tc. Same time every time. $.02

learn something new every day. My 47RE wont do that, I hit the switch while standing still it kills it. My dog likes to hit it when getting in the truck and needless to say, I have had a few abrupt startling surprises.

The automation of the Co pilot will yield more consistent results from my experience. you can set it off of 5 mph increments starting from 10 or 15 moh can't recall for sure but one less thing to be thinking about while behind the wheel.

By the way you getting ready for a grudge match with Dan or something?

Last edited:
learn something new every day. My 47RE wont do that, I hit the switch while standing still it kills it. My dog likes to hit it when getting in the truck and needless to say, I have had a few abrupt startling surprises.

Your 47RE doesn't do it now, but can be setup to do it. You'll like it.

The automation of the Co pilot will yield more consistent results from my experience. you can set it off of 5 mph increments starting from 10 or 15 moh can't recall for sure but one less thing to be thinking about while behind the wheel.

I don't have any experience with the Co-pilot. I do have some experience with the suncoast controller. Depending on where you have it set mph wise (if you have it set to 30mph) you can't unlock it when above that mph. With the switch you can. That"s been my experience. I prefer to have total control all the time, but that's just me. To each his own. :Cheer:

Yeah he wants the co pilot before the race. I am just going to hose it with giggle gas and hope she sticks together. That is the only way Ill have bragging rights with my cute little VP truck.

Your 47RE doesn't do it now, but can be setup to do it. You'll like it.

I have a 48RE vb, what does it take to make it do it?

I have a 48RE vb, what does it take to make it do it?[/QUOTE]

Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor not a tranny expert. (Star Trek)

I don't know, call D. Goerend or any other tranny guy you prefer.

you can't unlock it when above that mph.

Actually not correct. There are three buttons on the copilot. Power, and lock up speed up and down. All you have to do to unlock is turn the power off and the truck runs like it would from the factory.

Actually not correct. There are three buttons on the copilot. Power, and lock up speed up and down. All you have to do to unlock is turn the power off and the truck runs like it would from the factory.

Like I said I have no experience with the co-pilot. You can bet if I have to turn something off it's going to be a $3 switch, not a $400 plus box. :Cheer:

Back