Click/CLUNK at(?) transfer case?

P.J

I've developed a noise, only happens when taking off from stop going forward. It is a pronounced clunk. Sounds like it is coming from the transfer case. I had my son drive while I layed down next to the truck, can't seem to really pinpoint what or where it is coming from. It will NOT do it going backwards.

On a maybe related note, I seemed to have damaged the seal on the output of the transfer (drive shaft). Somehow I did BOTH the front and rear.

Rear has leaked and is spraying up onto under the bed and onto the resonator. Front is leaking down onto the pumpkin. This hasn't been going on for long, and doesn't drip when sitting still......?

Anyone want to wrench on my schit? Embarrassingly, I have a lift and decent collection of tools, but limited knowledge to go along with it.:huh:: I mostly work on tractors and other equipment that (number 1) doesn't have to get me back and forth to work!

Thanks,
Phil

I would look hard at all of your u-joints, especially the CV joint on the front driveshaft.

I'd also look at all your u-joints and
pinion seals are notorious for going out

Sent using tapatalk from my HTC Aria

My carrier seems to have some slop, not sure how much there should be (if any).

Truck only has 46K miles, but I have 22.5's and have towed fairly heavy in the past few years.

Guess I'm just hoping it's not T-case related, with the leaks and all.

Looks like a need a new driveshaft. I took it off, had a big rig place (brakes, driveshafts, etc.) look at it, he showed me a bunch of play in the splines, sounds a lot like my noise when moving it on the bench.

Sucks, junk yards get $250 (and none near here have one). I hate to buy someone elses junk too.......

Guess I'll get some tissues together and call the dealer.

Got to fleetpride in elkton. I have them do my driveshafts. They do great work and will help you out. :Cheer:

That's where I went! I stop in there once or twice a week to bum empty boxes from them.

Steve claimed he can't get the parts for it. I called the service department up at Newark, they are about useless, supposed to be faxing me an exploded view so I can even determine WHAT parts they sell separately. We'll see, it didn't sound too promising over the phone though, sounded like they only have one "yolk" and they universals.

New complete shaft is $ $757.00

Hmm id get the part numbers and see what you could find for parts, then just have them weld it and balance it.

Ordered a one piece. Hope that was my noise. Dude that messes with them everyday at Kellers, (aka Fleetpride) said it would have definitely been noisy when he moved it around on the bench.

The one piece just makes more sense to me, less moving parts to fuk up & lighter

Got it in tonight.......... HUGE difference. I'm not the guy who has to pat myself on the back after spending money, if it didn't fix my noise I would be the first guy to admit I had blown the money with no result. (spent plenty of money on a boat that mostly just made me an angry man)

This thing is a must have. I used to get this rhythmic "wrapping" sound when I backed up and let off the clutch. I always assumed it was normal (or a side effect of the DD). Well, it's not,..... it's that friggin 2 piece shaft.

Very very pleased with the results of this mod, never thought much of my driveshaft, makes a very noticeable difference in both starting off, shifting and reverse.

Hmm, might have to have one made for mine because I am dang sure not spending that much on one from the dealer.

Back