clutch and trans upgrades

99_SilvrCummins

I am in need of a clutch as the old BD gave way a little bit ago. I am looking at South Bend's 3600 non sfi and the 3850 sfi. I won't be pulling in a circuit or anything but I may hook once or twice. Of course I will be upgrading the input and hydros at the same time.

My question is, the 3850 is around 400 more, is the money worth it for my use? Also is there a big defference between the two in drivability for everyday use and towing?

I was going to address the 5th gear nut while it's all torn apart. What is the best solution for this? Is there anything else I should upgrade while the transmission is apart like syncros or gears?

Truck has mods according to my sig below and will have a ED 62/68/12 added to the mix at the same time I install the clutch.

Thanks for your advice and time

I think you should call Peter to get the full source, but I can't imagine you "needing" the 3850.

Most folks are happy with the 3250, especially for a daily driver. I'm running a 3600.. Peter and other folks actually recommended I use a 3250, but after I started slipping my other brand dual disk at only 450 or so rwhp... I was a little "clutch paranoid" and went for broke.

When you put the transmission back together make darn sure you use the right fluid. I've heard of folks frying the syncros in less than 500 miles because of the wrong fluid.

Driveability with the 3600 has been fine by me. It is a little grabby when warm, but not bad at all. I tow a boat in and out of the lake, and I never put it in 4wd. With the other dual disk I would usually spin the tires pulling the boat out and up the ramp. With the south bend I have no problem. Backing live stock up a hill might be an issue though..

Thanks for your input and as of right now I am leaning the 3600 way. Anyone else want to chime in?

The non sfi clutch is a diaphram operated which makes it easier to shift. I ran a sfi 3600 before and I liked the clutch, but it made downshifting impractical imho.

I figured I would post in here rather then start another thread.

Just so I get it right what is the correct fluid to fill the transmission with?
Also any tips I should know ahead of time for the 3600 install?

I have a bunch of parts going on in a week and am making sure my ducks are in a line.

Could an amsoil dealer pm me with the cost of engine oil and tranny oil.

If someone deals in fleetgaurd oil filters and filters for my fass 150 a pm with prices are welcome as well.

Thanks for your time/advice.

if your trans is a 5-spd it takes 75w-90, the 6-spd takes a 5w-30 synchromesh fluid

as for the clutch I run a 3600 6cb, it's a grabby bastard but it shifts quick as hell and I can't slip it unless intentionally...... for install....don't forget the washer behind the throwout bearing ball, and check the plates to make sure they move freely on the shaft as well as the floater plate, there have been some issues with engagement recently... if there are problems file them down a little!

Back