Clutch DDC3600

cetaneaddict

Causing my own headaches
I installed a south bend DDC-3600 in my nv4500. I called south bend about a few things like the pedal going soft when shifting at 3800-4000rpm in my 12 valve. I can't let the clutch out without a little throttle in 1st and 2nd otherwise it will stall out. Is this normal ? Anything I can do to improve ? I was thinking I should be able to let the clutch out without it stalling. It's idling at 700-800rpm.

I was slipping it taking off. No side stepping. Listening to the squealing and chattering.

That I understand. I've driven a 24 valve and 2 common rails and they can just let clutch out without throttle and will not stall. I understand the 12 valve is a totally different animal. I'm just wondering if that's common in a 12 valve you have to apply a little throttle/slipping with this clutch to take off.

It depends what mods you have such as injectors, gov springs and how you have them setup, dvs?

My buddy had 4ks and 5×14 and had an issue of idle dropping bad even while slipping and had to apply throttle. He added will terrys comp cuts and it solved the issue

DIY pump mods, 4gsk set on 4 clicks, #100 plate, 5x.016 cpp, 62/71, currently stock 180 pump dv's. installing comp cuts this weekend. Afc set at 100% fuel at 40psi. Pre boost adjusted to little/no smoke from 0-10psi

Last edited:
Loosen your gov springs, and reset your idle. I've never had an issue with stalling with either of trucks with stock or DD clutches.

I also wanted to mention when starting my truck I have to give a little throttle to get it started otherwise it will crank for a 3-4 seconds before it fires.

I also wanted to mention when starting my truck I have to give a little throttle to get it started otherwise it will crank for a 3-4 seconds before it fires.

Welcoem to the 12v world.. There all that way.. Atleast the ones I've been around..

Back off the gov springs and reset the idle will help it start too. Mine idles around 850, fires off in half a revolution generally.

I reset my governor springs at .046 from the stud to the nut. Triple checked for any shims again. I'm probably going to send my pump out this winter and have it balanced/flowed then see if it helps. My friends 94 12v idles around 500rpms with a 3gsk with similar mods and you can let the clutch out without any throttle and it takes off on its own. Maybe I'm just asking too much out of the old girl.

Just wondering

Do you have the electronic ignition on that 12v? On my 24v I have no problem even side stepping the clutch at idle, the engine revs up and off I go. Could be the difference between manual pumps and electric. Jut my $.02

I believe it's electronic? It's a 98 12v. I may have to google it and find out.

The beauty of the 24v electronic engine, has the auto fuel to avoid dying out. Loved it in by big truck too. made it easier getting out of inclined docks. But the 12v is a lot easier to work on I must say.

P pumps don't have auto fuel at idle when letting the clutch out. A 12 valve will never auto fuel to maintain idle speed when letting out the clutch, you have to give em a little throttle pulling out.

One reason I really like the driveabiiity of my vp44 truck, but that pump is getting swapped out for a p pump as soon as I can afford it. Would rather have a pump that takes a little throttle to get moving than one that likes to fail without warning and can't fuel hard past 3200.

Getting back to the tread at hand, I have the Valair 3650 DD and I know its in or out no slipping it. was kinda hard to get use to. Need to add more power!!!

Back