clutch question

mtboggs

I am getting a 96 5spd and the owner told me that it had a dual disc south bend but when I test drove it I could tell that it defiantly didn't have a dual disc. Is there any way to tell what clutch it has in it by taking the cover off and looking at it?

No way to see without yanking the trans

My SB DD has a thick aluminum spacer between the starter and bell housing as the ring gear is repositioned with the DD flywheel. Came with longer starter bolts also.

Ok so if it has a heavy single there aren't any numbers stamped in it I would be able to see through the inspection cover?

Did it rattle at all when you pushed the clutch pedal in?

Ok so if it has a heavy single there aren't any numbers stamped in it I would be able to see through the inspection cover?

Maybe my brain is tired, but what inspection cover? How could you "tell" it's not a twin disc?

One big thing to remember is aftermarket upgrades rarely if ever add much value to a truck. If the guy is trying to put a premium price on something based on what clutch it has he is a little lost on how the used truck game really works.

sorry it took so long to reply back been busy. I did get the truck, the clutch does not rattle when pushed in that's why I questioned it I know south bend makes a quiet dual disk but I've never heard one so I don't know how quiet they are, what has me puzzled is that it acts like the dual disk that my dad has in his dmax just without the rattle. I also noticed that the clutch doesn't do much till the pedal is almost all the way out.

even the dampened floater plates some southbend clutches have rattle, but just not as loud.

sorry it took so long to reply back been busy. I did get the truck, the clutch does not rattle when pushed in that's why I questioned it I know south bend makes a quiet dual disk but I've never heard one so I don't know how quiet they are, what has me puzzled is that it acts like the dual disk that my dad has in his dmax just without the rattle. I also noticed that the clutch doesn't do much till the pedal is almost all the way out.

I've seen them run anywhere from dead quiet, to a full on nasty rattle. Valair and SB both make a silent version now, and depending on engine harmonics it may be quiet. Run it till you break it, then you will know for sure. Maybe you can get a receipt for the clutch???

If he bought it directly from SB, they will have a record of the purchase, call them.

Ok thanks. And it's kinda a screwy deal he claims that his buddy did everything and he just paid for it so I don't have high hopes that t is a dual disk I'm just trying to figure out what it is before I do stuff to it so I don't smoke the clutch.

Back