Clutch released Auto with manual valve body

pjsrider

I like my manual transmission in my dodge, but know it will die soon the way it gets treated at the drag strip. I've done some searching, but have not found any thing on replacing the torque converter in an auto setup with my twin disk haisley clutch and runing a manual valve body on an auto trans. In my mind I am thinking that the clutch would be used for all shifts like a manual trans and the valve body would be manually shifted for each shift. I'm thinking that since the auto already shifts quicker than a manual that drag racing would be faster than with a manual with synchros. Essentially it would act like a 4 speed manual minus the problems of a 5 or six speed true manual transmission. Or if i could find a manual vb for a newer 6 speed I could have a six speed. Does the auto require the forgiveness of a torque converter to shift, and I imagine finding an input shaft for an auto that will go into a clutch will be a custom job. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Jay

I have researched the lenco, but it doesnt have over drive. I am curious as to why it cant be done with 47rh or re. Or any modern auto. I'm thinking that I really just need an input shaft that will match the hub in the clutch i have. Plus a spacer for the bell housing depending on how long the shaft is.

Jay

never mind the fact that fluid gets pumped through the converter. or that the converter drives the pump.

but it was done a bit in the past with the torqueflights, called it a clutchflight. VERY spendy!!
CompD Mobile Device

Save your money and just do a 47rh with a full manual vb and performance build.

Good point I was forgetting that little detail. Wouldnt a custom designed shaft still be able to turn the pump and divert the converter flow? I guess anything is possible. It just takes money.

You'd have to be some kind of savant to get the timing right on shifts and clutch engage/disengage.

Scott

From what I know you would only use the clutch to disengage. Not shift

Last edited:
please correct me if i am wrong, but i thought circle track guys had something kind of like this with a 2 speed power glide. except instead of a clutch it had a clutch pedal that some how cut the fluid in the custom t/c (built for this application) Im really sketch on the details bc I seen it so long ago and I don't know alot about trannys but i will see if i can dig something up. Im not really sure why you would want this though, seems like there are good tc out there that can handle anything you throw at them

Clutch auto

look up fairbanks or BM clutchflite. There is still a company in I think NY that makes the kit to build them. The kit is like 1K and you would need a clutch and bell to make it work. Jeff

We ran one of the old clutch flites years ago. The front of the tranny had some kind of seal and a set of forks sticking out to drive the pump off of the fingers on the pressure plate. Worked good in the blazer it was in but broke alot of drive line parts. It had a fine spline mopar input shaft.

Back