Cold weather drivers HELP

DISTURBED

YEA WE RIDE THE SHORT BUS
Im at a lost here.

Ok so a little back ground. Truck is an 01 dually,6 speed, 64/HT3B, 150hp injectors and a TST comp.

Now the issue. When the ambient air temp is below 41 degrees the truck has an uncontrolible surge, under load. Ive been hauling a few cow here lately and early in the morning when its cold the truck is almost undriveable. Now as soon as the temp on the over head display shows 42 the surge stop immediately. Does it with the TST on or off. Boost, fuel pressure, oil pressure, rpm are all stable. It does have a long crank to start and the APPS is starting to do a dead pedal every so often. There are no codes but when i was cruising on the interstate (still under 41*) i set the cruise control at 70 and about 2 minutes after setting it the truck was just driving along and all of a sudden it was like you floored it and it climbed to 80 before i turned the cruise off. so i drove for a bit and reset the cruise and it did it again. Later that day after the temp was above 42 i set it again and it didnt do it. I dont have a clue were to start. Does the over head display have any bearing on the ECM. Ive never had a issue like this so im kinda lost

Example: I was driving the other morning and it was 37* on the over head display as i hit the bottom of a long grade. As i climbed the grade the truck was surging like crazy and as soon as the over head hit 42* the surge stopped immediatly when i started down the other side the temp on the over head dropped back down to 37 at the bottom i rolled on the throttle and the surge came back. As the day warmed up again the temp came up and the surge went away.

Your gonna think I'm crazy here but we had a 02 that was surging/bucking when pulling his cattle trailer. We checked all ujoints, driveshafts, tires, fuel filters etc. He had scheids put a hrvp, lightening one injectors and the lightening turbo along with a fass system so of course there was nothing wrong there. We put the Valair dual disc in. He thoughtthe clutch was slipping. After I went through all the stuff I mentioned, I happens to look at his cold air intake and the filter was plugged solid and black. I thought I might aswell clean that for him. Low and behold it hasn't bucked or surged since and it has been about a year. He also keeps it clean now. I know this sounds stupid and I'm not sure I would believe it either but he said it's good. It's a cheap thing to look at.

If temperature is the varialble then I would start with what accepts it as a parameter for the engine. That would be AIT sensor. Give it a good cleaning then see what she does.
Just my opinion.

Your gonna think I'm crazy here but we had a 02 that was surging/bucking when pulling his cattle trailer. We checked all ujoints, driveshafts, tires, fuel filters etc. He had scheids put a hrvp, lightening one injectors and the lightening turbo along with a fass system so of course there was nothing wrong there. We put the Valair dual disc in. He thoughtthe clutch was slipping. After I went through all the stuff I mentioned, I happens to look at his cold air intake and the filter was plugged solid and black. I thought I might aswell clean that for him. Low and behold it hasn't bucked or surged since and it has been about a year. He also keeps it clean now. I know this sounds stupid and I'm not sure I would believe it either but he said it's good. It's a cheap thing to look at.

Im not sure the filter would be the cause in this case seems to me to be ambient temp caused but if it does it in the morning i will pull the filter off it and see if that helps

If temperature is the varialble then I would start with what accepts it as a parameter for the engine. That would be AIT sensor. Give it a good cleaning then see what she does.
Just my opinion.

I almost switched it today just cause i have a new one laying here

Mine done that when the APPS was going out. Swap it out with another if yo have one handy.

Mine done that when the APPS was going out. Swap it out with another if yo have one handy.

did yours do it at a certain temp like this or was it all the time?

And when i say surge i mean a hard surge like throw stuff off the dash surge

^^^ Yes, I was going to say it would be better if you had an APPS just sittin around. That is more likely to be the problem. Cleaning both the AIT and MAP sensors would not hurt a bit though.

Mine wasnt that violent, but it would surge and just randomly start accelerating. Seems like it was a temp related. I cant really remember.

Had this happen one morning. Cleaned map and ait, never happened again.

hook up the versus and watch the voltage for apps. ambient temp does play a roll in the ecm! it looks at that as one of the factors for automatic high idle.

Mine did this too. P-pump took care of that!

I put a resistor (don't remember the value) in place of the iat over winter while I had the vp44. It ran slightly doggy, but didn't buck or surge.

hook up the versus and watch the voltage for apps. ambient temp does play a roll in the ecm! it looks at that as one of the factors for automatic high idle.
As soon as it starts getting colder thats the plan. Its been close to 70 here this last week
Mine did this too. P-pump took care of that!

I put a resistor (don't remember the value) in place of the iat over winter while I had the vp44. It ran slightly doggy, but didn't buck or surge.

If it keeps it up i have a benched 215 pump here thats going on it

Back