Common Rail in 2nd Gen

RPA

I am very heavily considering putting a common rail in a 2nd gen truck. I have access to a complete 06 motor with computer and everything. Asside from having to do a some rewiring, and things like Vaccum pump and thottle hookups is there anything out of the ordinary on the 06 that I should be concerned with. I though I read on one of these forums the 06's had a theft lock or something like that built into the cummins ecm were it had to see a certain key in order to function. Is there any truth to this?

I had 2 06's in the shop the other day and tried to start them with to door key and they would not start used the key with the chip in it and it started.

Thanks Kevin,

Got to love all this extra security stuff. I guess maybe I would appreciate it more if we had that kind of problem around here.

there is a guy in Idaho Falls that put a 03 common rail in a 01 truck, sweet truck. he came to one of our dinner meets and we got to check it out.

You will have to get the 06 ecu reflashed to get rid of the key deal. Talk to Bob Wagner about that and he will set you up. Wirring should be no big deal.

Not all early common rails ('03-'05) had the security key, but I think '06 and up did. But like BDP said Bob Wagner could take care of that for you. '05 and up have the TPS on the pedal (which you could buy) and as far as the vacum pump goes if you could ditch it and get a PS pump and hydro boost unit off a 3rd gen I think that would be easier. (unless you want to try and belt drive it) I know Ted Sterner (P-Pumped) has all that crap off his '04 he wants to get rid of you might send him a PM.

amazing what the search feature can bring up!

As far as the vac pump deal is there a space under the inj pump for one like the 2G's? will a 2nd G one fit?

Incline6 has one in his short box 2nd gen. His name is Adam and his truck looks amazing with slicks on the rear.

I know I read about a 98 12v that had a 06 motor transplanted into it. I think it was on tdr.

The guys at Fleece Performance are putting a cr motor in an 2nd gen truck with an allison behind it.

Back