Common rail problem?

richsdieselperf

Lethal Injection
A guy brought me over his truck for a rapping noise turned out the dealership put 4 injectors in the truck earlier and never readjusted the valves some were loose some very tight. I adjusted the valves and runs fine, but he says every now and then when its cold it the truck sputters and sounds like its missing while it idles high untill he hits the throttle or puts it in gear i though it was normal to idle high but what about the sputtering anyone have a clue? is it just the programming of the computer or what the guy said it always did it since he got the new injectors put in.

Thanks, Rich

I'm pretty sure thats the 3 cylinder high idle, mine was doing the same thing this morning. It will run up to 1000RMP's until you tap the brake or put it in gear. Maybe someone else will chime in but I'm pretty sure thats what it is
Have a good one..ROB

Mine sounds normal up front in the engine area but whe you walk back towards the exhaust it sputters like crazy, you can also feel it while sitting in the truck. Normally I use the high idle setting to run the idle up to 1500 but this morning I didn't bother, thats when I noticed the sputtering. Soon as I tapped the brakes all was well. I don't think it's anything to worry about...ROB

im sure it will be ok i just wanted to make sure 100percent that is what it was. i see your from fredrick iam 15 miles away ok thanks Rob :rockwoot:

never heard of the high idle feature going in 3 cylinders only, it should be a smooth 6 cylinder operation, just like you had the foot on the throttle.

the vp trucks had a 3cyl idle feature but i dont recall and 3cyl feature on the cr's

YOu may be right, it just sounds like my truck is missing a few when it idles up. Hopefully someone else will chime in and set the record. Not trying to say your wrong just going by sound on mine....:Cheer:

Mine's an '05, when it reaches for high idle, the engine is on all 6cyls, running smooth, but "lopes" through the exhaust. There's another '05 that belongs to a friend of mine, his does the same thing... Seems to be normal at high idle.

check the grid heater and make sure that it is working properly i know my grid heater isn't working and when i start it up cold it will spit and sputter until the engine warms up a little bit!

Today is the first day I've ever heard mine sound like this. it was to regular to be unusal. Sounded like I was missing a few cylinders to say the least. Once I tapped the brake it settled down to a normal idle. I'l try it again tomorrow morning once I get donr with my beer.. I would love to know what was going on since it was the first time I've heard her sound like this.. She ran like cracy once warmed up so I don't suspect any problems..:Cheer:

Iv got an 03 that does the same thing in the high idle mode. I dont belive the 3rd gens have the 3 cyl high idle though.

The guy stopped by a little while to pay me. I CHECKED IT FOR CODES while he was here quick and found stored p2607 .. INTAKE AIR HEATER low iam going to check it out for him when ever he has a chance to drop it off is there any problems that ussually go wrong with the grid heater? fuse, bad element?

Thanks, Rich

Mine did the high idle lope with the stock injectors. It went away when I put the Flux's in. I've haven't heard it since.

In regular idle the stockers were fine, but in high idle it would lope. So to me it's pretty obvious it's injectors that cause the loping high idle.

If IAT is low/high it wiki throw off the grid heater. Say it's 20* out side abs you need the grid. But IAT thinks it's 80* and the ECM thinks it's 80* and doesn't turn on the grid. And vise versa if IAT thinks it cold when it's really hot outside. And you get the IAT code slot when the connection was took worst during romval of air box. Just clear and see if it returns. It may be bad or faulty connections/wires

UPDATE
Checked and found 1 ground wire missing for grid heater fixed that and code still remains P2607 intake air heater relay low iam going to check the relay tommorow the truck is still missing when driving sometimes others its fine???

Last edited:
maybe you have more bad injectors, those injectors were having so many DV issues that the new testing tells you if you have more than 250ml total leakage from the injectors to replace ALL of them.

thanks guys, hasnt acted up latly for the guy So he hasn't been back around IAT was ok but if it keeps acting up iam going to get the injectors tested.
the dealer wont help the help out with the warranty because they told him its an electrical problem or somthing? :bang But warranty time is better then no time

i have had a couple of the relays for the heater grid go bad, its not unheard of. might act up when the temp gets colder.

Back