Commonrail race engine suggestions

smokeblack13

When in doubt Pin it
Ok guys just got the motor out of the 06 soon to be shop race truck.

First off truck is 06 cummins

Plans so far:
Single fleece s480
steed speed competition t4 gated mani
sending the head to Mtn High to have them do bigger valves, machine intake off for hellman side draft and port job
250% exergys
Efi live tuning

Now for the internals:
Mahle Monotherms
Hamilton Cam
Either peened lightened and balanced 12 valve rods or Billet

My question is as far as the build goes is should I go with
deckplate and sleeves or just slight overbore?

Cylinders look to be in pretty good shape except 6 has a bit of ring gouging from the top ring being broke.

Also would it be better to run billet rods with qsb480s vs the monotherms or just shell out the money to be safe?

Truck is mainly going to be drag but will see some street use so filling the block is not really an option.

I would avoid the monotherms due to the limited bowl options.

I would not be surprised in the slightest my heap of junk at 1700 on fuel would punch through 2k rwhp on the cheater spray. Not sure just how limited I am by the monotherms.

Smokem you suggest the qsb480s then? Just get them coated?

No, I would go with a forged piston at least.

Not sure just how limited I am by the monotherms.

I am not saying they cannot work, I am saying that there has been far less experimentation with different nozzles and bowl designs in the CR side of things. I think many people underestimate how many options there are out there.

Monotherms work just fine...Do not run them without billet rods as they will bend a set of 12v rods easy due to the added weight. I have some other piston options that work great in my setup at 1400whp and are very cost efficient.

Not much out there in regard to bowl configuration or any one willing to share data. Made a piston only change from the old monotherms and their hybrid deep bowl to the wide bowl and actually lost a bit of power.

Would it be worth the extra to sleeve with deckplate for strength? Planning on well north of 1k hp

If you are going to make over 1000hp, I would only consider billet rods.

If you are going to use Monotherms, I would sleeve the block with Darton racing sleeves, and set the piston to cylinder clearance to Mahl's specs.

I believe the QSB's come coated?

Paul

Yes the plan is to be over 1000 looking for around 1200 but I doubt this setup will get me there.
So knowing this monotherms and billets with sleeves?

Glad we tore it down when we did a few of the rod journals and bearings were torn up pretty good. Compression ring was broke on 6 which I know is common and #2 piston was scored a bit

Attachments

• image1 (1).jpg
    image1 (1).jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 0
  • image2 (2).jpg
    image2 (2).jpg
    48 KB · Views: 0
  • image3 (1).jpg
    image3 (1).jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 0

If you are going to use Monotherms, I would sleeve the block with Darton racing sleeves, and set the piston to cylinder clearance to Mahl's specs.

Paul

What does a set of Darton sleeves normally run? Also you recommend a deckplate with this application?

Paul

I bought a set of QSB's didn't come coated.

Back