Comp Turbo.. Would you try it?

six_sloww

Currently going over my options for an atmosphere turbo when I stumbled across something interesting...

I found a comp turbo CT6X for Really cheap.. like a couple hundred less than an S480/96/1.32 cheap

Ball bearing, Zero runtime.

Right now it has an 88mm compressor, 92mm 100 trim turbine, 1.24 t4 divided turbine housing. (not an ideal atmosphere charger as it sits).

Called Comp turbo, I can change the turbine wheel to whatever I want and get a t6 turbine housing for around $900 dollars, still 1000 bucks less than a GT5518R

Now for my concerns.. What the hell is with the 100 trim turbine? its just a straight cut wheel? would a 92mm straight cut wheel flow way less than an 88x96 wheel?

I have a feeling this could quickly turn into one of those experiments where I try and save a buck only to spend a bunch and then end up buying a GT55 in the end..

I'm trying to read up on these comp turbine wheels.. I saw Jose from forced inductions say they were garbage in one thread.

No idea how they would act in a compound arrangement?

I'm trying to read up on these comp turbine wheels.. I saw Jose from forced inductions say they were garbage in one thread.

No idea how they would act in a compound arrangement?

Yeah and plenty of people have said the same about his stuff.

Very quick to spool. Provided good power. I.blew one up. I can't blame them thou. I believe there were other issues involved.

Trent Neil for Epr was starting to use them on his Twin/Triple builds before he went under.
He seamed to like them.

You dont want to have any exhaust manifold backpressure with that kind of wheel.

But what about as a primary? Does the straight cut wheel work well for that?

I wouldn't know how to size the straight cut exhaust wheel.. If I wanted this thing to work similar to an s500 99/110 would I need a 100mm straight cut wheel or a 110?

But what about as a primary? Does the straight cut wheel work well for that?

I wouldn't know how to size the straight cut exhaust wheel.. If I wanted this thing to work similar to an s500 99/110 would I need a 100mm straight cut wheel or a 110?

100 would flow about the same, at least in theory, but would be much less efficient. 100 trim just dont work. It doesnt have much pressure ratio so you would need very high exhaust gas velocity and almost no pressure. I think primaries need higher pressure ratio than small secondary that gets hot high velocity gas ?

Don't know about that straight cut wheel, but I've been running there turbo's and I'm happy with them.

The mustang guys use their turbos a lot and seem to like them. But that is a whole different animal than compound diesel...

I run a comp 112mm turbo, in a set of twins no complaints, had it for a few years now, i would recommended one, good guys to deal with

Ended up just buying a precision gen 2 8891.. Just had too many times where I tried getting around spending the money and end up paying twice as much

Back