Compound Turbo Common Rail 1949 Ford Road Racer, Old Smokey!

CHUCKLES GARAGE

Fabricator
I had posted a build thread on the truck a while ago, but it is closed for some reason. it is here:http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168315

Anyways, a lot has changed since starting this truck a couple years ago so I will update on all the progress. Initially it was powered by a built 12 Valve with compound turbos, now it has Commonrail power and TONS of other changes.

The truck:

Old Smokey is a 1949 Ford F1 1/2 ton truck built with multiple motorsport in mind. It is the worlds first diesel powered vehicle designed to do nearly every form of motorsport, and be street-able as well.

The truck is designed for road racing, autocross, land speed racing, drag racing, drifting and daily driving. Old Smokey is truly built to be a do everything hotrod.

My racing goals with Old Smokey are to attain my goal of 200mph at a land speed event, turn a sub 1:50 lap of sonoma raceway, compete in drifting events, attend autocross events, and drive it ALOT while getting 20mpg on the street.

Old Smokey has been in the September 2014 Diesel Power magazine (thanks Jason Sands!)as a two page spread.

• 1200+ Horsepower 5.9 Liter Cummins common rail diesel
  • Industrial Injection modified Borg Warner Big Brother 91mm and Silver Bullet 66mm Compound turbos
  • Custom Hamilton cam, pushrods and retainers
  • Carillo Rods
  • 14mm Gorilla Girdle
  • Coated Mahle pistons
  • Dual Industrial Injection CP3
  • Engine is set back 100% behind the front axle centerline for proper weight distribution
  • Water methanol Injection system
  • AEM v.2 Standalone engine management system with touchscreen interface on dash
  • Speed and gear based boost system controlled by standalone EMS
  • Stewart Warner analog gauges in factory gauge cluster
  • Black smoke will be minimized as much as possible through extensive laptop tuning
  • Enormous water to air intercooler built to withstand 90+ psi of boost
    [*47RH transmission using Suncoast components
  • Wilwood 13" 6 piston brakes in front, Wilwood 13" 4 piston (dual caliper) brakes in the rear
  • Fully adjustable SPC tubular a-arm suspension in front with Afco remote reservoir coilover race shocks
  • Fully adjustable shop built rear 4 link suspension with adjustable panhard bar and Afco race coilovers
  • Winters ultra heavy duty Quickchange rear axle
  • Fully boxed original chassis with tubeframe x-member and full tubeframe back half
  • Full roll cage
  • Kirkey full containment racing seats and 5 point RJS Harnesses
  • Fully powdercoated, plated and polished engine and chassis with original 50 year old hand painted farmer patina being kept on the body.

IMG_20160129_082153.jpg

IMG_20160128_131037.jpg

20160123_200843.jpg

chucklesF1final.jpg

Impressive. If you want a moderator (such as me) to open your old thread, just ask

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looks great! little different from last time i saw it. did you ever get the servo shifted 47rh sorted out? seemed promising from what you were describing.
have a nice day, ed

curious to see what it actually makes for power. running a similar turbo set up.

Back