Compound turbo help

DIESELGUY84

Bracket Racer
I want to put together a compound setup in the '94 12 valve in my sig. I'm just looking for more top end, and lower egt's. The truck bracket races @ 5800 feet in elevation.
I got my eye out for an HT3B, 74 mm compressor with a 26 cm exhaust housing, would that be a good bottom turbo (under my 62/71) for my elevation? Any suggestions otherwise?
I'm going to be junkyard shopping, how do I tell the size of the exhaust housing? and what engines had these turbos? Thanks!

the turbo will have a 26 cast into the inside of T6 flange

i think they came on 350-400+ big cam cummins and a few other things

the big give away is looking at them, kinda hard to miss them

No the op lol I think I know him. And I would not do a ht3b considering how cheap s400's are.
I'm quite good today got a price on my s478 and will be ordering one soon

Last edited:
IIRC, ht3b is 76mm. Great bottom turbo.

What size exh housing on the 62?
The exhaust housing is a .80 a/r. I thought they were avail in a 74mm too? been wrong before though!
What would I expect to pay for one of these in a junkyard?

No the op lol I think I know him. And I would not do a ht3b considering how cheap s400's are.
I'm quite good today got a price on my s478 and will be ordering one soon

They can be cheap, but rarely less than 1000. You can get an almost new ht3b for half that.

What is the 78 for?

The exhaust housing is a .80 a/r. I thought they were avail in a 74mm too? been wrong before though!
What would I expect to pay for one of these in a junkyard?

Not sure about 74, I've been wrong before as well LOL

Not sure about junkyard, but they are always for sale here, for a few hundred. Just sold mine for 300ish

74 is the biggest i have heard of a ht3b if it were me i would look for at least a ht4b but im a lil on the crazy side lol. the 78 will be a single for a bit then be my top charger for the hx82

and if you cant find a s400 for under 1000 then your asking the wrong people....

From my experience:

74mm comp wheel housing had a MWE groove
74 comp/??/26cm housing

76mm comp wheel housing did not have a MWE groove
76 comp/96 exhaust/28cm housing

74 is the biggest i have heard of a ht3b if it were me i would look for at least a ht4b but im a lil on the crazy side lol. the 78 will be a single for a bit then be my top charger for the hx82

and if you cant find a s400 for under 1000 then your asking the wrong people....
S475 run 500 to 650 dollars.

Pn 171102

found and ht3b locally, ad says: 76 inducer, 76 exducer, 26 cm housing, brand new asking $600. I think he means it's a 96 mm exhaust exducer?

Last edited:
found and ht3b locally, ad says: 76 inducer, 76 exducer, 26 cm housing, brand new asking $600. I think he means it's a 96 mm exhaust exducer?

Brand new I hope? If it's not convenient or with a great seller you can get a brand new one exactly how you want it with good customer service and a warranty for that price.

Don't overlook s400s either.

ht3b is a good old school turbo, but a 475 for 650 bucks will be a better choice. I want a 475 to hang under my hx40 someday.

3b's just work. Old school but they can make some power. I have heard garmon and his guys making 700hp on a 3b/35 setup, 32cm on the 3b and 18cm on the 35, no gates. I think it was Phil Taylor that ran this setup, maybe he will help.

Thanks for all the replys! I'm starting to lean towards an S475 with a 1.32 turbine housing, would that be too big for my altitude? Actual track elevation is 5800 feet, however I regularly see the density altitude in the high 8000's!
I havn't completely ruled out a 3B either.

Back