Compound Turbo Question

Buck1

Something
For all those with "twins" in their lives, have a question. Got a B-1 and HT3B from Racin Duallie that I am gonna breed onto a 7.3L (pauses for laughter to stop and people to get back in there chairs off of the floor) and had a couple of question. Posted it over here, since Cummins get the majority of the twin work.

1. The B-1 has an internal wastegate, will this be sufficient to use for the time being as the wastegate for the system, or will I have problems from the get go. I have heard there is tuning work that needs to go into a twin set.

2. Where is a good source for just the exhaust flanges and clamps for the HT3B and the B1?

Any advice (besides swapping to a cummins) is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a ton for any assistance,
Matt

The B1 has an HX40 style exhaust flange.

And yes, if answers to these questions have already been posted, I missed it, cause I was too lazy to search.

SHould be a decent setup. I think the B1 is like a 62mm compressor. What size external gate?

Gonna try without an external wastegate unless popular opinion thinks otherwise. Not sure what size of an external I would even need anyways. First set of twins so real new at this.

Internal on the small charger won't be enough? Didn't know if I could keep my foot out of it enough to at least initially make it run.

The real reason you need a gate on your secondary (small) turbo is mostly because it is too small for your 7.3. If you have any kind of injectors in that thing you will need a bigger turbo period. That internal gate is way too small, at least drill it to vent both banks of your engine.

The B1's internal wastegate should work fine to 5-600hp depending on the cfm your head can flow. An external wastegate will help between the head and stage hotpipe, but the HT3B will be choked up before the internal wastegate on teh B1 becomes a restriction. You can adjust the wastegate on the B1 by shortening or lengthening the actuator rod or by restricting flow to the actuator.

Rip & Source Auto sells twins parts & flanges. I think Wally has some in stock now as well. www.ftediesel.com

Thanks to all for the info and bearing with me in my "learning" process. Eventually I plan on running and external gate, just tired of seeing the truck sit in the burn and kinda anxious to make it go again. I will definately drill the waste gate as was mentioned, because as a single I agree the B1 would be too small. Truck does have injectors in it from Full Force diesel. Roughly 300-350ccs. Heads have been mildly ported and stock camshaft is now back in.

What brands/sizes of external wastegates would be suggested for the setup?

Thanks again for all the help and will post results and anything else I learn while pursuing this project.:thankyou2:

sniperonhigh said:
Brandon, you did see that he is putting these on a 7.3?
Yeah, I see that now. I still think it would work with an internal gate, just not as well.

Back