Compounded triples

TheSilverBullet

All the correction factor
I've been kicking this idea around in my head and figured I'd throw it out there and see if I'm retarded lol.

So what I'm thinking is taking my twins which are a 62/s480 and mounting them side by side and then mounting an hx82 / s500 down low (not sure how this will all fit) and compounding the 480 with it.

Questions
1. Is this even possible will I have enough drive to make chit happen?

2. Fitting it all in there will be chore thinking cutting some of the inner fender out and loosing shock tower for now.

3. I have no idea how to size the third charger. I was thinking around a 90 inducer on it and maybe stepping the 480 down to 75 or 72 inducer.

Now discuss

I've seen a pro farm or super farm tractor with three turbos in compound. IIRC the turbos were a 71 an 83 and a 103 or something lol

Well if you didn't think it was worth it's weight in gold I wouldn't be a jew. lol.

It was tried on a p-pumped 24v with Turbonetics chargers about 10-11 years ago. Don't think it worked out too well. Fulmer has the truck now.

Sarcasm brought to you by Tapatalk

I would think it would take a bunch of rpm or a conservative setup like 57-66-78 or something. Doesn't seem like there would be much flow or heat left after two stages

3 stage works on diesel supers. Should work on a 5.9 if you can keep the block together.

3 stage works on diesel supers. Should work on a 5.9 if you can keep the block together.

Do you know where some pictures can be found? I know these setups exist, but around here I only get to see two stages even if 4 chargers are involved. Google has nothing in the picture department from what ive seen

Go to google and then type in about any dss tractor team. Many have pictures on their facebook if you have never seen a 3 stage setup before.

Go to google and then type in about any dss tractor team. Many have pictures on their facebook if you have never seen a 3 stage setup before.

Thanks bud, the local club only allows a single charger on any tractor below heavy super stock. In HSS they can have up to 4 chargers (i think) but only two stages.

That is a two stage three turbo setup, still only one step of compounding. Most 4 charger setups on the heavy super tractors are 2 into 1 into 1 for a three stage setup that they are limited too.

Most of the 3 stage setups on tractors use 2 atmospheric chargers. I know some are going to 2 stages and 3 atmospheric to help engine block longevity.

Keep in mind if go with a 3 stage compound set-up your boost pressure could easily exceed 120 psi (if set-up correctly) and you'll be flirting with breaking the engine block.

I know a couple of guys who have tried it and lost power compared to a twin setup. Takes some HP to spin each charger, and a compound setup with two or three (two into one) chargers can make more than enough boost while still being efficient.

Most of the 3 stage setups on tractors use 2 atmospheric chargers. I know some are going to 2 stages and 3 atmospheric to help engine block longevity.

Keep in mind if go with a 3 stage compound set-up your boost pressure could easily exceed 120 psi (if set-up correctly) and you'll be flirting with breaking the engine block.

One of the locals told me that his tractor with a 3 stage setup was making 160psi. HP was somewhere over 2000hp.

Back