Compounds and vps

oldblue116

I would like to get some feed back on some different compound set ups with vp trucks. More so looking for street/strip truck combos with monster/ii dragon fire pumps. I'm probably going to be sticking with the stock head and cam for a bit, but that is up I'n the air. I'm cOnsidering a 63/68 next to a s478 or s480. I do plan on doing a side by side set up opposed to over and under. Any and all feedback/pics is greatly welcomed and appreciated. Thanks guys, Mark.

FWIW, stainless diesel was running triples. 2 64's feeding a 66. I would say find your HP/ET goals and work backwards from there.

Yea lol Johnny has a much bigger bank account than I do and more time/patients I'n te build. I'm more so looking for feed back on what I should expect with a decent size combo. Power, heat, spool, driveability. I want to make upwards of 700, the more the marrier.

Used to run a billet 62/68/12 from e.d. over a box stock S475 with the 83mm turbine and 1.10 housing on my 01. Just had an SO vp with a quadzilla adrenaline with 200hp ddp injectors. 80 psi of boost and run no hotter than 1350 all day. Also had a 181/210 cam in it. Spooled fast and was north of 700 hp on a wheel dyno. Was an absolute blast.

Last edited:
A 63/80 or 64/80 will make north of 700 fairly easily. A can would be a a huge help on spool up and top end for that big 80.

My preference would be a monster pump and see what happens. Zero to little tuning should be needed.

Im selling my twins to a friend to put on his VP. 63/76. He has 6x.013's edge drag 188/220 cam, mild ported head. I should have a number for you in about 4 weeks. lol

A 63/80 or 64/80 will make north of 700 fairly easily. A can would be a a huge help on spool up and top end for that big 80.

My preference would be a monster pump and see what happens. Zero to little tuning should be needed.

I already got the monster and mikes 6x13s. I really should do a cam anyway

Im selling my twins to a friend to put on his VP. 63/76. He has 6x.013's edge drag 188/220 cam, mild ported head. I should have a number for you in about 4 weeks. lol

Thanks man! I would love to see it!

62 or 64 with a 475. Great spool and plenty of power. Box borg chargers will do the trick.

precision 67mm over precision 76mm.

both ball bearing billet units. the 76mm out flows an s480 all day.....spools faster and is quite a bit smaller dimensionally so it fits nicely

just my opinon. I run 11.5s all day with this setup stock cam no head work

I used to run a 64/65/14 over an S475 with a race cover, made around 700 with 7x16's and an HRVP EGT's were fairly stupid and it was really smokey. I ran jammer 3's for general driving around and towing, egt's were very cool and it ran clean.

Last I knew MPM was running a set of 78/96 twins on his truck...but he also claimed he was shooting for 1,200 hp. Don't know what happened after that as we had a falling out. I'll be running a 63/68 over an s475 for the towing twin setup on my new 12 valve once I get back to the States. Anxious to see how it does.

precision 67mm over precision 76mm.

both ball bearing billet units. the 76mm out flows an s480 all day.....spools faster and is quite a bit smaller dimensionally so it fits nicely

just my opinon. I run 11.5s all day with this setup stock cam no head work

Hmm, all I see there is $ lol wonder what a box stock 66 and a 76 would go like. I could do that fairly cheap.

VP's really don't have the fueling rate to make large turbo's run well. A 66mm turbo on its own is enough air for just about any vp, however it lights so slow that the available fuel is already on the down slope before you can use it.

I am a big believer in less is more on a VP. HE351cw, or a 62/65 ect... Over a box stock S475 83 1.1, is still enough air for 750hp+ and will actually light quick enough to use some of the thicker part of the fueling rate area of the vp. If money was no option I would probably look at a pair of GTX3076r's over a GTX3576r, with an external gate. Would be enough air for 1000hp+ on fuel and would light quick enough that a vp might actually be able to take advantage of it.

VP's really don't have the fueling rate to make large turbo's run well. A 66mm turbo on its own is enough air for just about any vp, however it lights so slow that the available fuel is already on the down slope before you can use it.

I am a big believer in less is more on a VP. HE351cw, or a 62/65 ect... Over a box stock S475 83 1.1, is still enough air for 750hp+ and will actually light quick enough to use some of the thicker part of the fueling rate area of the vp. If money was no option I would probably look at a pair of GTX3076r's over a GTX3576r, with an external gate. Would be enough air for 1000hp+ on fuel and would light quick enough that a vp might actually be able to take advantage of it.

Finally someone else with some sense. Pays attention to setup especially on the hot side. For a VP setup this was spot on.

Unfortunately money is not falling from my a$$. I want to do it cheap. Not saying I will use chinese nock off chargers, but as affordable and effective as possible.

I run a 62/65/14 with a s478 with a 92 wheel and 1.1 housing, spool up is awesome even at 4500Ft. I had a 475/96/1.32 before the 478 and it ran great, the 478 just spools faster and flows more. I would stay toward the smaller side or chargers, there are a few guys here locally that run bigger charger on Vps and they dont make the power OR the 1/4 times that mine does.

I run a 62/65/14 with a s478 with a 92 wheel and 1.1 housing, spool up is awesome even at 4500Ft. I had a 475/96/1.32 before the 478 and it ran great, the 478 just spools faster and flows more. I would stay toward the smaller side or chargers, there are a few guys here locally that run bigger charger on Vps and they dont make the power OR the 1/4 times that mine does.

What kind of power you putting down?

Back