Compressor wheel ok?

ENafziger

I'm getting ready to install the HE351CW I bought off a member here awhile back. I noticed when I received the turbo that the compressor looks slightly knicked. I PM'ed the guy asking history on the turbo and if he knew what could have caused it, and heard nothing back.

It's hard to get a pic, but the edges are slightly knicked and rough. Will this cause any detriment to performance?

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Got the engine bay cleaned up a little last night, and about have the suspension mods done. I need to get this going soon, as I just lost 4th and 6th gear in the '06.

ry%3D400

Thanks, Eric

Last edited:
Compressor damage like that comes from dirt. If that's the worst extent of damage I wouldn't worry about it. Engine bay does look good!

Thanks guys...I'll just run it then. I'm going to use the stock air filter box from the '06 with Mopar's new extra capacity filter, so hopefully the damage from filtration won't go any further.

I don't really have any great pics yet. I'm still working on getting things together, and was planning on doing a miniature build thread once I got it done. The biggest thing was the complete suspension re-design. It should have 16" rear / 12" front travel and be riding about 40% into the travel at static height. Bilstein 7100 RRs all the way around, including the steering stabilizer.

Here's just a few pics of the past couple months efforts:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

It's still definately a work in progress, but it's coming along alright considering the limited time I've had to work on it lately. However, I just took out 4th and 6th gear on the '06, so I have to get this thing together to have something to drive!

Gotta give credit to my two dedicated helpers though...

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

--Eric

Last edited:
That compressor wheel is scrap. I'd get a refund asap and avoid the guy in the future.

That compressor wheel is scrap. I'd get a refund asap and avoid the guy in the future.

Have you ever ran a turbo that has light dirt damage like this?

Last edited:
I wouldnt run it myself, get your money back and buy anouther one, theres lots of them out there fairly cheap.

It's just a pre batmowheel LOL. you will be fine to run it like that. Sketchy that the seller won't get back with you though.

Last edited:
mine has been running for a few years now and looks way worse than that!!! even at 40 psi... truck is sweet! (and the wife is hot!)
now I need to go paint my engine bay... Got a bit envious when i saw yours!! Keep it going!

Have you ever ran a turbo that has light dirt damage like this?

Thats not light damage, that is extreme erosion. Its worth no more than its scrap weight.

In the very best case, it will be less efficient. Damage like that greatly weakens and unbalances the wheel, making blade or wheel failure likely.

I wouldn't be too worried about it Eric. I've seen far worse ran without issue. On another note, the engine bay and truck looks great. It appears you do very nice work. :bow:

I think the saying that fits here is: "I have done worse with better"

As a rule of thumb, just take anything 300dumbazz says and do the exact opposite. WTF is it with 90% of these benz guys being 100% douchebags.

I have seen wheels in equipment turbo's that make that turbo look new with 10-12,000 hours on them and put right back into service on a rebuilt bottom end for another 10k. All out performance might suffer ever so slightly but if you were concerned with that I doubt that charger would even be on that engine.

I wouldn't worry about it and run it. I have got to see this truck in person when you get it done. We'll have to get another meet together for all the East TN folks.

Back