Confused on my 6.0

joshgilvin34

i need some help here i thought i knew my 6.0 very well. I got an 05 for the longest time it was pretty much stock except for the edge juice with attitude i had on it. My head gaskets i knew were starting to go so when i went to fix all that i replaced gaskets, did head studs, and egr delete. i did all the work myself (im a ford diesel mechanic). And since the work has been done i have a sct programmer on it, my truck now is blowing out more coolant out the degas bottle than it ever did and it just started blowing out coolant yesterday. I have had it back together for about a month now or so. I havent ran it hard yet its just hard to believe that i have blown a head gasket or possibly a blew a head. Maybe i over torqued my head studs or not enough torque. what is the recommened amount of torque for the studs? any help on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

How full did you fill the degas bottle? Should be at the min mark.

Toque is 240ftlbs-265flbs. Also, did you clean or replace your oil cooler while you had it apart?

Using the ARP assembly lube................

Correct torque is 210 ft. lbs. Still have a EGR cooler? If so, its probably cracked. If you have no EGR cooler you did something else wrong.:bang

I did not get heads checked for cracks but i would figure if it had cracks then it would have started blowing coolant out a lot sooner than a month later. I torqued to 240 ftlbs and oil cooler I replaced not to long ago. Egr has been deleted along with cooler. I did use arp lube. What gasket are good for it?

its not fuel. its pushing out every bit of coolant because when removing degas bottle cap coolant system has excessive pressure built up.

Should have gotten the heads checked and decked. Time for a do-over.

i need some help here i thought i knew my 6.0 very well. I got an 05 for the longest time it was pretty much stock except for the edge juice with attitude i had on it. My head gaskets i knew were starting to go so when i went to fix all that i replaced gaskets, did head studs, and egr delete. i did all the work myself (im a ford diesel mechanic). And since the work has been done i have a sct programmer on it, my truck now is blowing out more coolant out the degas bottle than it ever did and it just started blowing out coolant yesterday. I have had it back together for about a month now or so. I havent ran it hard yet its just hard to believe that i have blown a head gasket or possibly a blew a head. Maybe i over torqued my head studs or not enough torque. what is the recommened amount of torque for the studs? any help on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I did not get heads checked for cracks but i would figure if it had cracks then it would have started blowing coolant out a lot sooner than a month later. I torqued to 240 ftlbs and oil cooler I replaced not to long ago. Egr has been deleted along with cooler. I did use arp lube. What gasket are good for it?

Should have gotten the heads checked and decked. Time for a do-over.

Looks like this thread worked itself out pretty well. Warped and or cracked heads, wont seal up with a set of headstuds and fresh gaskets... The first Ford tech to work on my truck apparently used your technique, and an oil change or two later they did it again for me, but that time with new heads, and all the associated goodies.

WE have used brand new heads and blocks and have surfaced both a min. amount
.003 because even new they are not perfectly flat. With the increased pressure in the cyl. it is imperative to have absolute flat surfaces.

Back