confusion on the edge Comp/Smarty stack..

dennhop

From what all I've read here and elsewhere, they all say that you can stack an Edge and a Smarty, which I believe. However, everything I've read also says you can't stack two fueling boxes, or two timing boxes, which from what I've read about the comp and smarty, they both do fueling and timing...or am I reading something wrong?
Also, with the smarty, is it simply an OBDII programmer? As in you load the tunes into the smarty from the computer, and then flash them to your ECM via the OBDII port? Is that what they mean by stacking the comp and smarty, using the Comp with a smarty tune installed into the ECM? I've been tossing around getting a smarty to stack with my comp, but I'm stuck right now with understanding how it works, and not willing to drop money on a smarty without knowing how it's supposed to work together. Sorry if this is a stupid question, I have tried to research this, but haven't found enough info to make me comfortable with working on money for a purchase yet.

Since my sigs not working for some reason, truck's an 01 2500 QC SB 4x4, upgraded NV4500, Con OFE, Edge Comp, AD 150, FP/Pyro/Boost gauges, dual 5 in stacks, stock everything else.

Last edited:
Yes the Smarty is an OBDII downloader. The reason you can run it with a Comp is the Smarty has fuel only settings. Download a fuel only setting on the Smarty, and you can run any setting on the Comp. I run a Comp/Smarty stack with Mach 4s, it is very nice.

You can pick up the Smarty used for about $500. Check the classified's.
I ran the Comp/Smarty and it was great. Only run the even settings on the Smarty. That's fuel only no timing. You'll love the power. Only draw back is the surg while using the cruise control.
what's up Ernie?

so if the comp does only timing, and the smarty does fuel, why does edge advertise the comp as fueling and timing? Maybe I'm just dense, but that's what it seems like..
The Edge Comp module maximizes engine efficiency by monitoring the RPM, timing, turbo boost pressure and fueling parameters of your Cummins engine. The Comp module uses this information to determine and control both fueling and timing enhancements for the Bosch fuel injection pump. Timing and fueling enhancements are controlled via CAN-BUS through the Data Link and by connecting directly into the Bosch fuel injection pump.

You can run a programmer and a fueling box.

As long as they don't both add timing. If they both add fuel that's not a problem.

The Comp does both timing and fueling. That's why you only run the even numbers on the Smarty (fueling). don't want too much timing. Bad things will happen.

the comp box made 8hp more on the dyno then the comp/smarty stack.

Lavon

The comp box does fuel & timing like advertised dennhop. It fuels through the can-bus and through the pump tap. The smarty does fuel and timing as well but you are able to pick settings that just fuel only without adding timing......(ex: even settings) Run the comp as you wish and run the smarty on even settings only.

The stack is stout but has been known to drop #'s on the dyno just as Lavon has stated....on the street it is real nice.

The comp does fueling and timing. So does the smarty, but the smarty has settings with just fuel and no timing.

I have them stacked. While towing and using cruise, I use the fuel and boost fooling level only, none of the Catcher levels. That stops the surge. I also have a WD-40 straw cut short and installed in the vacuum line to the cruise module. Wicked stack once you fool with the settings. Mine will rev clean right up to 3400 (thats as far as I have taken it)

I think I finally have an understanding now of how the stack works, I appreciate all the info and advice you guys gave me. Thanks!

the comp box made 8hp more on the dyno then the comp/smarty stack.

Lavon
True, the stack usually makes less peak power. I haven't had a chance to dyno yet with Comp/Smarty but I would guess by the way it drives that there is a pretty good increase under peak versus just the Comp.

I havent dynoed mine yet but I know my track time is slower with the stack than just the comp

A set of injectors will be alot more bang for the buck. The Smarty on a second gen is just not impressive.

Glad I read this had mine on 9 with the edge on 5x5 Switched it to #8 on moved it around the lot at work and could tell it was a bit less laggy lol.

yea the smarty didnt impress me at all. Just nice to be able to correct my speedo and read codes. It does give the truck better throttle response too

I had the smarty/comp stack for a while too. I just changed to a TST comp SMARTY stack and I luv it, cause I can use the timing from the SMARTY with the fuel from the TST plus my injectors. Its makes my more power that way.

well today I put the smarty on switch #8 and the comp on 3x3. That seems to slow the fuelling at lower rpms just a touch and lets it fuel in the upper rpm alot better. With the comp at higher sub levels, it compounds the fuelling at lower rpms because of the smarty and basically leaves you with no fuel for the upper rpm. At least that what it seems to me. Mine now revs way better once it builds a little boost.

Back