convert a 97 to disc brakes

inline6359

Microwaving cats since 01
Will a 2003+ dually disc rotor bolt in place of a 97 drum system. I want to convert my truck to disc brakes but i am not sure what will match up.

Probably not.. I would suggest getting the big wheel cylinders and a good set of shoes.. I was much happier with that setup compared to the rear disk-brake conversion I bought my truck with..

We have high quality Carbon-Kevlar shoes here

Anything is possible I suppose. I had a friend take a disk brake D80 and axle that didn't come with calipers, and put the drums off of a D70. I was amazed that it worked, but it did. Stock dodge drum cylinders are smaller on the 3/4 tons. You can get 1 tons and they are larger, and when I bought them they were actually cheaper. I beleive the chevy wheel cylinders are larger yet.

I looked into doing this a year or two ago. Found a D80 axle off an '01 with disc brakes. As near as I could tell, it would bolt up just fine and the parking brake would still work. The only question was if I'd need the proportioning valve off the '01. The master cylinder on my '98 appeared to be usable as-is. I think you'll loose the use of the load proprtioning valve above the rear axle, assuming your truck has it. But maybe you could get it to work. The only other thing I found is that it would probably cause my tires to stick out about 1/2" more on each side - barely noticeable.

I didn't do it cuz I couldn't get the wrecking yard to sell me the axle for a reasonable price. They wanted $1800 for it.

-Jay

Well the reason the friend didn't buy the calipers, is the dealer said that the disk calipers require much more fluid than the drums to operate. He had a quote for like $3000 to buy the hardware. Basically they said you needed a new master cylinder.

you can convert the older drum rear to disk, but from what I have been told to make it work right you need to switch the whole axle disk bakes and all, and swap it for yours same size such as d70 if you have that or d80 ect, then you also have to have the master cylinder for that year truck that the axle is for, to be able to make them work right but then I believe you still lose the abs ability though, so yes they would work better and be faster to change the pad, but you would be money well spent to buy the chevy 1ton wheel cylinders from napa or other parts store cummins express asked about the rear brakes last week the post should be done alittle in this section its titled Brake's and the napa part number is listed in there or just go buy the wheel cylinder for a chevy 1 ton year 96 that will bring up that part number you need.

JGK said:
I looked into doing this a year or two ago. Found a D80 axle off an '01 with disc brakes. As near as I could tell, it would bolt up just fine and the parking brake would still work. The only question was if I'd need the proportioning valve off the '01. The master cylinder on my '98 appeared to be usable as-is. I think you'll loose the use of the load proprtioning valve above the rear axle, assuming your truck has it. But maybe you could get it to work. The only other thing I found is that it would probably cause my tires to stick out about 1/2" more on each side - barely noticeable.

I didn't do it cuz I couldn't get the wrecking yard to sell me the axle for a reasonable price. They wanted $1800 for it.

-Jay

Just for information, '01 D80 disc brakes do not fit to 97 axle. I bought ´'01 dually complete cut axle ends with disc brakes, lots of machining and welding needed.

Brake caliber holding bracket mounting holes (bigger circle) are different, centre hole are bigger, braket location mounted are different location.

Good thing: brake disc will fit to '97 hub

AsTroSS,

It sounds like from your reply you assumed I was just going to swap the brake parts. In fact, I was going to swap the whole axle. Both the '01 and mine are D80s. So I figured the '01 would be essentially identical except for the brakes.

I know my master cylinder appeared to be identical to the one on the donor '01. So that part wouldn't need to be replaced.

For what its worth, I've done the larger rear cylinder swap on my drum brakes. It works, but I notice the rear brakes tend to lock up when its slick now, but only when I really mash 'em. I need to work an adjustment into the load proportioning valve.

-Jay

Sorry I misunderstood.

Complet axle swap should be bolt on job

Sorry I misunderstood.

Complet axle swap should be bolt on job

Just cause the master cylinder looks identical doesn't mean it is. I am sure it is an orifice or something that is different. Friend was quoted over $3000 for all of the parts and he had the axle, minus the calibers. I am pretty sure it included a new proportional valve, and master cylinder.

EGR brakes makes a kit for this and so does www.tsmmfg.com . I think they are under $1000.
A disc brake Dana 70 or 80 will bolt right in.

Back