Convertor and fuel economy.

VMAX

Has anyone tested how much mileage is lost not using lock up, compared to locking up regularly?

I just rebuilt a 47rh for my 1500 with a 4bt and on my first tank i got 25mpg around town before i had a 46rh and at best i could only get 24 around town but mostly 22 or 23 around town. Got 30mpg on a 266 mile trip with the 46rh. Havent done a long highway drive with the 47rh yet.

I was averaging 19ish on my half ton 6BT before putting in the 3:21 gears should break 20's fairly easy now that the gear is in. Have not road tripped in it yet but I will imagine it will get 30mpg at 70 now. The 19 is with a heavy foot. Hard for me to not get in it on a open road.

interest to see what your improvement you get going to 3.21 ratio. My ratio is 3.55. The 25mpg was driving aroung at 60mph at 5 or 6lbs of boost, lockup dropped me down to about 1400 at 60mph if my tach is accurate.

I don't have clue on this but I would figure during lock up the fuel milage would increase. I've always been half tempted to put a lock up switch in to keep it locked up in 4th with my 48re. There are a lot of roads around my area that are 45mph.

I am sure it will increase economy just using it in OD just from RPM drop just wondering if anyone has data on it.

Back