cool down time?

biggsy

My son works for a company that owns duramax diesels the owner wants the guys to let the trucks run after a long trip to (Cool down the turbo) is this a necessary thing to do? if so what other rules of thumb are there ? I am a newbie to the diesel thing and want to get things right thanks for any input sean

I let mine idle till the pyro gets down to 350* or about 5-10 min if I've been towing heavier. Don't know if it's necessary or not but it makes me feel better.:)

With the tranny in park and the A/C off I idle mine down to 320 or 300. Usually takes less than a minute.

I have stacked tuners in my truck and if I'm hard on it, it will normaly take about 2-3 min. for it to get below 300*. This also involves alot of black smoke. When I use the truck for towing I will turn the truck back to stock settings and it usually dosen't take more than 1 min. to drop bellow 300*. But it dosen't hurt to wait longer sometimes it may take longer amounts depending on higher outside temp and humidity.

I have my turbo timer to shut off about 30 secs after I turn the key off. By the time I grab my stuff and walk from the parking lot at work, it shuts off.
It didn't shut off once and the truck ran for 5 or 6 hrs before someone noticied it :doh:

I have my turbo timer to shut off about 30 secs after I turn the key off. By the time I grab my stuff and walk from the parking lot at work, it shuts off.
It didn't shut off once and the truck ran for 5 or 6 hrs before someone noticied it :doh:

oooops

Ok forgive me for being not diesel savvy at all! (pyro) is this the exhaust temp?

Yup.

You would think a straight piped Cummins idling in the parking lot with no one around would attract some attention, but apparently no once noticed.

Bully Dog Spec

Bully Dog says to let the pyro read below the 400 deg. mark prior to shutdown. That is what I have been going by for about three years now running their triple dog programer among other things...

i like to wait till 280-290. i paid too much for my turbo not to wait.

Back