coolant check

soturi

water pump = fail. just replaced it in march, too. looks ok, not much play, but the weep-hole was weeping. found this stuff in the fluid i drained. should i be worried?

picture.php

new pump in, refilled, started up. it was squealing before the swap, i figured the weep had ruined the belt. started w/ no squeal for 5 minutes, so i figured it was the old pump squealing. then squeal came back... isn't the first $40 belt ruined by coolant. dammit.

no thoughts on the crud?

took forever to heat up, and then went all the way to redline. heater blows cold air, reservoir stays full. bottom rad hose hot, top cold...

replaced pump just to f'k thermostat. FML.

...possibly because of the crap floating around my cooling system, as pictured? really don't know how "normal" all that sediment is, if someone w/ some experience could weigh-in. engine has 183xxx miles.

Just flush it, its it way to easy to flush it and put new in, way cheaper than replacing all of those parts.

Drain a bit of coolant pull the neck off the thermostat and fill the block with coolant to keep air pocket out...

Drain a bit of coolant pull the neck off the thermostat and fill the block with coolant to keep air pocket out...

Hm. Good idea. Will do. Would air pockets prevent thermostat from opening, or is my t'stat definitely broke?

Flush is definitely happening as soon as everything works right. Just want to know if I should be worried about that crud. I just replaced this pump in march, and flushed it then, too. I'm worried there's something wrong that might destroy this new pump in 8 months like the last one. Autozone warrantee works, but a water pump in less than a year is a problem.

I pull the temp sensor, and burp the air out. Yes, if it is air locked the thermostat will not work.

Paul

That crud is the reason I run a coolant filter kit.

touche, good sir. touche.

filling through the t'stat port worked.

squealing is quieter, too... which makes me think... if it was squealing really loud yesterday because i didn't refill the block...

did i ruin my new water pump running it w/o enough coolant in the block yesterday?? :nail::nail:

thanks for the input, everybody.

took someone's "advice" and flushed it with Tide before flushing it with BG cooling system cleaner... i think i'm going to have a wee bit of soap in my damn radiator for ever.

took out the new pump; figured it's warrantied so i'll replace it since i flushed the system w/ it.

this is what i found on a 2-day old pump:

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=91&pictureid=129

you can see where i wiped off a layer of corrosion. the port the pump came out of is similarly coated in rust. wtf did i flush it for, if not to get rid of this ****? or is this normal? i don't think the "old" broken pump even had this much rust on it.

Back