Coolant mod pics

alvispace

Fat Bastard
Since I have a larger intercooler & tubing, I've been putting off installing the coolant filter setup I bought about a year ago. It went in over the weekend, here are some pics (from a phone).

I had to narrow the bracket that came with the kit and took some liberties in routing the line over to the T in the reservior line.

Attachments

• img074.jpg
    img074.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 80
  • img075.jpg
    img075.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 87
  • img078.jpg
    img078.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 86
  • img079.jpg
    img079.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 83
I like how you cut the hole to run the coolant line over the fan shroud. That's pretty slick

If you look to the left of the intake on pic two you might recognize your product.

Thanks for the comment

that looks sharp..I don't think it will work on mine since the inner fan shroud is MIA and my fan plug runs thru there

First filter change 800 miles

Here is the filter from my first change. Lots of dark slime & grit, little bit of larger gritty particles.

Attachments

• First Coolant Filter Change 67k 07-11-09 001.jpg
    First Coolant Filter Change 67k 07-11-09 001.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 27
  • First Coolant Filter Change 67k 07-11-09 008.jpg
    First Coolant Filter Change 67k 07-11-09 008.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 19
  • First Coolant Filter Change 67k 07-11-09 002.jpg
    First Coolant Filter Change 67k 07-11-09 002.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 16
That filter base is why I designed my kit differently. It mounts the filter horizontally to clear the banks intercooler tubes. Those first few filters remove some nasty stuff.

I keep them hidden. Just put one on 4x4Freak's truck not too long ago. He took some pics of the install.

I keep them hidden. Just put one on 4x4Freak's truck not too long ago. He took some pics of the install.

I found the pic
http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16065&d=1239247293

When you mentioned horizontal, I was thinking that would make quite a mess at change time, pouring out as you unscrew it. Still think it would spill alot looking at the kit, my vertical one spilled about 6 oz when I changed it.

Looking at your mounting bracket, I think I would have hit the intercooler pipe even more, but could have gotten around it by shortening it like I did with the kit I used.

I don't understand why both your and diesel sites kits were engineered with such wide brackets. Why push the unit so far away from the front of the truck?

I found the pic
http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16065&d=1239247293

When you mentioned horizontal, I was thinking that would make quite a mess at change time, pouring out as you unscrew it. Still think it would spill alot looking at the kit, my vertical one spilled about 6 oz when I changed it.

Looking at your mounting bracket, I think I would have hit the intercooler pipe even more, but could have gotten around it by shortening it like I did with the kit I used.

I don't understand why both your and diesel sites kits were engineered with such wide brackets. Why push the unit so far away from the front of the truck?

The filter clears the pipe and allows you to get a filter wrench on there if you need to. I had a diesel site kit on my truck. I was trying to change the filter and couldn't get down there. Got pissed off and said there has to be a better way. So I redid it. With double braided goodyear horizon hose and included check valves. I also don't like waiting FOREVER for things to cool down. So now I don't have to reach under the filter to get it off.

I use a swivel oil filter wrench. No issues at all with access, probably due mostly to cutting the bracket down so the filter is accessible in front of the battery instead of right next to it.

Attachments

• 41fL0D-%2BTLL__SS500_.jpg
    41fL0D-%2BTLL__SS500_.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 2
I have that filter wrench. Also have that ones little brother. The bigger one. And the strap version. Instead of cutting down the bracket. I turned the filter.

Back