Coolant question. Need quick help!

Mr. Magoo

huh?
My water pump bit the dust last night so I'm replacing it today. Got the pump at oreillys for $50 with a lifetime warranty.

Now on to the question. I've read to only put HOAT coolant or g05 in these trucks. Also read not to mix these with green coolant as it gums up. Green coolant came out of the truck. Shouldn't I just put green back in? Quick help appreciated as im sitting in the parking lot at autozone now!!

I run the red in mine, not green. As long as the two are not mixed, ie all the green is flushed out use red. If all the green is not flushed out use green, just make sure NOT to mix them.

Red ELC coolant is garbage! We have so many coolant related issues at my work all due to the red ELC coolant. Stick with anything but red.

Red ELC coolant is garbage! We have so many coolant related issues at my work all due to the red ELC coolant. Stick with anything but red.

LOL where do you work and who is feeding you this line of bull chit? It's not like every over the road truck runs it or anything...:lolly:

I heard from a powerstroke guy to drain all the red out and fill with distilled water. Drive truck for a while. Drain water, refill, and repeat till water is clear then run whatever you want. Powerstroke guys switch over to a Cat antifreeze in the 6.0L.

LOL where do you work and who is feeding you this line of bull chit? It's not like every over the road truck runs it or anything...:lolly:

They made it mandatory in our state spec book to get it out of the engines. When coolant hoses are blowing inside of the school bus with 210 degree coolant, they frown on that. I would venture to say over half of our buses (about 175 total) and most other buses in this area have the similar problem. I understand over the road truck guys swear by this crap but im just going by what I have to deal with everyday. Heres a link to a thread I started about our problem. We have now switched to a Purple coolant non organic acid. We will see if this problem continues. Just my 2cents

Antifreeze help - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Fleet charge is good too but red ELC is not garbage. I work for Navistar and we test all coolants in every temperature from -70 in prudhoe bay, AK to well over 110 in Vegas, and red ELC is what 95% of OTR trucks run.

When you run into problems is when manufacturers cost reduce seals and hoses. I can't tell you how many times I've seen something work fine. Then it gets cost reduced until it won't work anymore. Most manufacturers go one step up from the failure point and leave it to save 2 cents a truck.

In my experience the older engines all work well with red ELC and it requires far less maintenance to retain the correct properties as green coolant. Purple works well but is a little harder to find. Any truck stop or auto parts store carries the red.

why not evans coolant?

expensive but pretty damn good.. run that in the family fleet of diesels, 3 05 crs, and my 95...

but the red stuff, there is a reason that many OTR tractors run it... so either ways you cannot go wrong

Went ahead and got peak green AF. Green came out so green went in so I wouldn't have to flush the whole system. Everything is sealed up and cooling right! Hopefully no problems down the road

be sure to put some SCA additive in it, ELC allready has it, its not as big of a deal with sleeveless engines, but it still helps save the water pump, seals and gaskets.

I like the purple cat stuff. But generally I use green cause it's readily available and easy to replace.

I just flushed mine and went with the G05 stuff in my 05 CR, $24 a gallon if I recall. My dad runs the green Peak stuff you are using and has ran it for about 110k in his 04 CR. In the 91, I used the cheapest stuff possible.

I just flushed mine and went with the G05 stuff in my 05 CR, $24 a gallon if I recall. My dad runs the green Peak stuff you are using and has ran it for about 110k in his 04 CR. In the 91, I used the cheapest stuff possible.

Thanks man! 110k sounds good to me

Most ELCs and green coolants will mix fine. ELCs are designed to be silicate free or very low silicate. Silicates were added to the green coolants for corrosion protection. If you mix the two you just ruined the ELC but not the green you really just changed the color. The ELCs advantage is that they don't form a barrier of silicates on the internals which acts like a thermal barrier, working against heat transfer.
The CAT stuff and the chevron stuff are very good stuff. They are silicate free.

be sure to put some SCA additive in it, ELC allready has it, its not as big of a deal with sleeveless engines, but it still helps save the water pump, seals and gaskets.

Please don't put SCAs in silicate free coolants. Some low silicates will require an additive, but make sure before you dump SCAs in.

Back