Cooling system flush (THICK SLUDGE)

turbojoe

Cummin get you some
I have already searched and seen the tsb on contaminated coolant system, BUT it says NOT to proceed if it looks like the pics shown, which is thick light brown sludge. almost in a solid non flowing state. It doesnt say any thing about what do if it is. What are you supposed to do then?? I thought about getting the engine hot to get it soupy, but dont want to overheat it due to no coolant flow. I dont know if simple green is going to help? A little insight would be greatly appreciated.

Truck is a 03 6.0 with a new factory oil cooler just installed and an egr cooler delete, also just installed. The owner says the motor was 4qts. low on oil :aiwebs_016:

Thanks
Joe

I had a 78 ford with a crack in the block somewhere that would let oil into my water system. I ran it like that for years, but that was an ol' beater truck. At least your not getting water into your oil.

Well i ended up using the TSB method and got alot of the sludge out then i used simple green to flush the rest like 3 times and it working very well. The only thing is now my oil temp is like 30-40 deg. hotter all the time. With the coolant at like 185* with no t-stat, the oil temp is 225-228*. this is a brand new cooler too. I even back purged the oil cooler throught the intake coolant hose and its not blocked. not sure if it should be like this?

Joe

Fleetguard makes some kinda bada$$ chit like battery acid kinda stuff. We used it at deere when oil coolers on 5000s would go bad 30min in the motor and flush. worked great!

The new oil cooler is probably clogged if you didn't flush the system prior to installing it.

damn, thats my fear right now. i thought what good would it do to flush it first. cuz it would introduce even more oil while your trying to get it out. guess i was wrong. prolly gonna have to pull it or try to back flush it more through the intake coolant hose? that is the outgoing stream through the egr delete pipe.

thanks

joe

Last edited:
Back