Could cam sensor cause my power problems?

BgBlDodge

Hates hippies
After fighting with my new injectors today (which turned out to be the cause of the miss) I noticed that my truck had popped a cam position sensor code. I cleared it and it hasn't come back. Would that cause my problem?

I had a belt frey and cut the wire off the sensor and it made the damn thing run like crap. Did it running down the road and i thought i had hit the end of a chain.

Well the truck is running fine now with the old injectors in it so it's definitely the new injectors. Gonna send them off tomorrow to get checked out.

I had a set of new 7x.010 injectors sent to me to try in case he had accidentally sent me a set of stockers the first time.

I had a kid put on two difersnt VPs due to rough running, low power conditions. Turned out to be a CPS problem.

Deffineately something to consider.

The CPS will defanitly mess with the fueling of the VP trucks. I have been fighting a fueling issues for about 8 months and most of it has been with the cam sensor.

Interesting. Well the truck is running just fine with the old injectors in it. Although my remote start is now acting funky but I think it's cause the tach signal got disconnected. The CPS hasn't thrown another code yet but I'm thinking I might pick one up just for fun. Although changing it isn't gonna be fun with the VP on.

Well napa has a sensor for $53 so I figure I'm gonna go ahead and swap it out. How do I get to that thing with the VP on and what size socket/allen head do I need to get it out?

Well napa has a sensor for $53 so I figure I'm gonna go ahead and swap it out. How do I get to that thing with the VP on and what size socket/allen head do I need to get it out?

You can use a 5/16th socket and some long extensions coming between the VP and power steering pump. Or, I would use a short 5/16th wernch and dig in there with my left hand while neeling on the bumper. It is a tight squezz, but I have done it I don't know how many times in the last few months. Once you get 1 turn or so on it, it should be finger loose for the rest.

If you do take the VP off, measure the distance from the mounting surface for the cam sensor to the tone ring on the cam. Then measure how far the cam sensor protrudes into the gear case. There should only be about a .020-.030" gap between the sensor and the tone ring on the cam.

That was the route of my problem. I had about .175" of gap and had to shave the mounting surface on the sensor down to close the gap. It hasn't throw a code sinse and runs good, but I think I still have a fueling issue somewhere else now.

Good luck.

Well that sucked monkey balls. I've spent the last hour at napa with my butt in the air trying to change the dang thing. Mine was a 3/16" allen head and I had just got done with an hour long commute so you can imagine how hot the motor was. Thank god napa let me borrow their gloves and tools. I finally popped it off and got it swapped out and initial results are good. Smarty 5, tst 1 I'm hitting 40psi of boost and 1200* where before I was only doing 32-35psi and 1100*. I'm gonna go out later and see how she runs.

initial results are good. Smarty 5, tst 1 I'm hitting 40psi of boost and 1200* where before I was only doing 32-35psi and 1100*. I'm gonna go out later and see how she runs.

Outstanding. I believe we have a winner :clap:

Well I went out for a test drive but there's to much traffic and I'm done driving for tonight so results will have to wait until after I get back from the NHRA races in baytown tomorrow.

Yup. It's below and behind the injection pump, above the vaccum pump. It's probably the most inaccesible thing on the engine. I'd rather do a dozen #6 injectors before I do another cam sensor.

Well the sensor didn't fix anything. I had forgotten that the TST fueled harder than the Drag Comp and made higher boost and egt numbers. Guess it's time to save for a pump.

Back