Couple Dana 80 Questions

smoken02

With the rear end jacked up off the ground. Holding one tire. I cant spin the other tire. Its locked like as if it would have a spool. Both tires spin together. Never noticed an issue with the inside tire barking going around a corner though. Also there is a thin steel ring right behind the ring gear. It has a bunch of notches in it. What's it for? Truck is an 02 6spd 4x4.

Sticker under the hood should tell you that you have a limited slip differential. And the ring is for the ABS speed sensor I believe.

Sticker under the hood should tell you that you have a limited slip differential. And the ring is for the ABS speed sensor I believe.

Ok so with a limited slip its locked until you turn a corner then? My truck is an 02 auto 4x4, but it has a Dana 70 and I can spin the tires independant of each other. Maybe I dont have a limited slip diff and he does.

That's how the posi-trac on a Plymouth works. LOL

You're right on track dude.

Ok, inside my glove box. It says anti spin diff. Im assuming thats a limited slip

Well I dont know then, because we both have limited slip. My wheels move independant of each other and his dont. Unless my rear end just happened to be unlocked at that time. Screw it. Either way the rear end is fine. So this means his issue is comin from some where else.

Its a friction disc style limited slip. Yours could be wearing out or his could have been modified for better traction by someone. Could have even had a spool swapped in.

Back