CR-450,000 miles-dead pedal?

Sledpuller

Comp Diesel Sponsor
2007, 6 speed. Hot shotter.

Just off idle, sometimes, pulling out, pedal goes dead, for a few seconds then comes back. No other problems.

It shows check engine code, then clears itself.. WTF?

Dodge garage wants to start changing sensors until they find it. A couple other plug and play shops just look baffled when you explain it to them.

Any ideas?

2007, 6 speed. Hot shotter.

Just off idle, sometimes, pulling out, pedal goes dead, for a few seconds then comes back. No other problems.

It shows check engine code, then clears itself.. WTF?

Dodge garage wants to start changing sensors until they find it. A couple other plug and play shops just look baffled when you explain it to them.

Any ideas?

what's the code ?

could be a number of things.....

bad injector/s
bad rail psi relief valve
bad FCA
bad TPS
lift pump going bad

if it was an older like a 98.5-02 i would say tps but you really need the code for the newer ones really way to many sensors to just start changeing them

I wouldn't think lift pump, as don't the Dmaxes run with no lift pump?

Finally got the actual numbers:

P0581 Speed Control Multiplexed Switch 1 High (he unhooked it, 300,000 miles ago)

And this one:

P0341 Camshaft Position Sensor Performance / Rationality

Now, do you trust the codes? Shouldn't a faulty camshaft sensor be affecting other stuff, consistently?

More information:

Rings and bearings 60,000 miles ago.

Camshaft sensor replaced 50,000 miles ago(when it went bad that time, the check engine light was on continuous)

This problem started 30,000 miles ago.

Just guessing TPS. "Should" set a code though. F' the codes.
I'd put a fuel pressure guage on it to check supply first.

Does it do it no matter what the fuel level in the tank is?

lift pumps as you likely know are a problem with these trucks. I'd be very surprised if that truck still has the original but, if it does.... I'd start there. If the fuel filter was never changed regularly... it very well could be the FCA.

Shops shouldn't be guessing at his issue if they have the correct equipment to diagnose it. If all else fails.... get it on a Starscan at the dealer. That would tell a lot. Also, if the truck has never been in for a ECM update, there's several updates that have been done to help running issues. That will happen automatically if it's connected to the Starscan

It has a fairly new fuel pump in the tank.

Millions of dollars spent on automotive computers and they still have to guess. Its criminal.

It's not that easy on the newer trucks. The ECM controls a lot of what happens. The TPS has all kinds of range in the voltages it puts out, you'd have to have a service manual with you to follow them all. His best bet is to get on a Starscan

A 2005, my mistake. Does every dealer have a Starscan?

His local dealer would not even sell him a new truck, when the 3rd Gens came out, knew he hot shotted, didn't want the headaches!!!! :bang

We have a really good Dodge/Cummins dealer, but its about 3hrs away, that may be the next step.

friend of mine had similar issue...31K - then it led to "sticking" pedal 35K. Code P0341 came up often...turned out a new TPS fixed the problem

A 2005, my mistake. Does every dealer have a Starscan?

His local dealer would not even sell him a new truck, when the 3rd Gens came out, knew he hot shotted, didn't want the headaches!!!! :bang

We have a really good Dodge/Cummins dealer, but its about 3hrs away, that may be the next step.

I was wondering how someone would put 450,000 on an '07.

He drives- a lot. Three goosenecks, a flat bed Ih and single axle IH Dumptruck. keeps him busy.

Why are TPS on standard transmission trucks?

When I say TPS, I mean throttle position. I guess thats the same as APPS.
I say, that his pedal is getting confused between on idle, and off idle position.

No, APPS and TPS , same thing?

APPS Accelerator pedal position sensor
TPS Throttle position sensor

To me that means the same thing. There may be an Idle validation circuit. I'm not sure.
I'll get you that wire diagram.

Back