CR Front Freeze Plug

dvst8r

Unobtainium
I, as have many here, blown out the rear freeze plug and the side freeze plugs, and the head freeze plugs. However this was a new one for me tonight.

I was in a friend of mines truck, and we were doing some tuning at the end of the pass it was noticed that we were loosing water, so we shut it down to investigate. There was a fair bit of water sprayed under the hood, but we couldn't see where it was leaking from and so we tried to fill it. At first it looked like the water pump was leaking. We pulled the pump no issue there, tried to fill it again and realized it was coming from behind the fan idler pulley (truck has an electric fan). We pulled the idler pulley to discover that front frost plug (or freeze plug, or expansion plug) had popped out (kind of pivoting at the point it made contact with the idler bracket) obviously allowing the water out unimpeded. he has the billet side and rear plugs, his head is tapped and it has the thread in dr. p style plugs in it. Water pump is clipped, and we saw about 4500rpm.

What say you compd, have any of you popped that plug?

My buddy is debating cutting another blade off of the pump or going to an electric one, also sounds like he going to try and locktite + peen the replacement one in there.

Obviously doesn't seem to be super common, as I didn't come up with much on the search. Nor does there seem to be a product out there designed to fix this.

Justin William's truck posted a pic of his moving back when he was sled pulling. It didn't blow like your friends did, but you could see it was going to soon.

I would say trim the pump some more, the system is making more pressure than it should.

Does the truck have a coolant bypass?

Justin William's truck posted a pic of his moving back when he was sled pulling. It didn't blow like your friends did, but you could see it was going to soon.

I would say trim the pump some more, the system is making more pressure than it should.

Does the truck have a coolant bypass?

Yes it does have a coolant bypass, one that goes from the thermostat to one of the rear plugs atop the head, has a blue valve in the middle, not sure who makes it.

I am questioning if it was just rpm, creating that kind of pressure? Or if the head is lifting, and combustion pressure is doing the work?

Mine did it at scheid last year every hook! I had a bypass and clipped pump.... I pulled the truck apart had a blown gasket at # 1 cylinder.

Mine did it at scheid last year every hook! I had a bypass and clipped pump.... I pulled the truck apart had a blown gasket at # 1 cylinder.

This is what I did, and didn't want to hear.

My bosses drag truck did the same thing so he machined an aluminum freeze plug the gets held in by the fan bracket. He has since had no problems what so ever and his pump is not clipped. Also he doesn't run a bypass either.

<Moose>

Kinda glad to hear this isn't as uncommon as I first was lead to believe from my searches.

ran a billet plug after and never had a problem.. but you shouldnt need to do so.. its a pressur ethig.. so either electric pump or dont spin it as hard..lol

Electric water pump all the way. I have ran one with my own coolant bye pass for 4 years now and never had first problem with freeze plugs blowing out. $289 from jegs will get you one.

E83E7ABD.jpg

Since your not running a mechanical fan you can just run this and route your belt different.

schied sells the plug that goes into front that sits behind the fan bracket... only like 60.00

My buddy got it fixed up, not sure exactly what route he took, but he did get out on Friday night and make some passes at the drag strip. No issues at all after 5 or 6 passes, so fortunately it seems that it was just that plug.

Thanks everyone for the idea's I passed them all along, if I remember next time I see him I will ask what route he went.

Back