CR rocker warning

07redsled

cumm-a-part owner
well the other day i pulled into a parking lot backed into my spot when, all the sudden my 04 started hammering like heavy rod knock, i shut it down fast, in fear of the worst. After getting it home i removed the valve cover to find a couple exhaust bridges blown off and the metal spacer on the bottom of the rocker missing, lucky for me the spacer was right beside the bridge right next to the valve springs, here is the scary part the rocker uses a PLASTIC retainer to hold the metal spacer above the bridge, so after checking all springs and pushrods i did some thinking and found that VP44 engines used all metal rockers and they are direct fit, after swapping all the rockers for metal VP44 ones and setting them at .08 IN and .018 EX , i started the engine and found that it is smoother and quieter than ever, heres my warning the plastic that holds the 3/8" or so metal spacer gives out letting the bridge fall off and the spacer free to fall in the engine ! i advise checking your rockers !

Attachments

• rocker cummins.jpg
    rocker cummins.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 0
your valves had to be loose as hell for it to fall out, hence the reason its quiet now.

Good reminder, but I know that this has been discussed on here before, because I have a set of 24V rockers sitting in the garage to go on next time I have the chance.

I have several plastic retainers cracked, but they havent fallen out because I keep an eye on my valve lash

I also am sure that several of mine are cracked, and I keep the valve lash in check, but for what I paid for the 24V rockers, its well worth making the swap when I get the chance.

they were all in spec .010 and .020 i think it had to do with rpms that i had and have turned . with the plastic cracked there is nothing to hold the spacer in except the ball of the rocker arm not something i want to trust, i like the all metal 2nd gen ones makes me sleep better lol it was normal valve noise before its just really quiet now

Last edited:
Been there. I did not torque a rocker nut properly after lashing and the bridge fell off. Of course it had to be #6 intake. Good info on 24V rockers also.

Thanks Matt!!!!!.....Good Info To Know.
I know I can not remember ever seeing anything posted on this problem at all.
Wish the photo was larger so you could better see it......Andy

i think that high rpms and high boost could have led to this before pulling to the parking spot i had just horsed around with a short 4k pull in 3rd thats when it started

your valves had to be loose as hell for it to fall out, hence the reason its quiet now.

^^^^^ this. That foot won't come out if they're lashed correctly. The plastic retainer is only there to hold the foot if the rocker is removed.

valve float possible? i have hamilton springs lash on the ones still together were in spec, idk maybe some had worked loose but i think this is only fixxed right once the plastic crap is removed its has no place in a engine

Last edited:
My vp rockers had a plastic cap on them and had over 200k miles on them with no issues when I sold it. Hamilton springs, cam, and pushrods and had seen over 40psi daily for 8yrs. They aren't a bad design.

Very common thing for them to be cracked just as stated above and all the reasons for it to fall out stated above.

Hell half mine didn't have a plastic piece at all.. lol never had a issue.

Hell half mine didn't have a plastic piece at all.. lol never had a issue.

^^^This is the way mine has been for a while. I bought another set to correct this while building it, but I have seen 4k without worries.

I never had mine fall off but I didn't want to take a chance so I bought some used 24v ones with the all metal design. I told a friend of mine that is a mechanic at the dodge dealer and he said the 2011 or 2012 just switched back to the all metal ones.

I got VP ones on my 07. Just because i had then laying in the shop and was doing valve lash anywayd

Back