CR vs. 12V Fummins?

12valvePwr96

Truck Under Construction
The diesel conversion section is probably where this belongs, but I figured I'd get more traffic here... Anyways..
Well, like some of ya know I sold my CCLB project truck, minus the motor I was building for it about a month ago, and bought this:

'02 Super Duty.

IMAG0198.jpg

IMAG0205.jpg

It's a 5.4 gasser, with a 4r100... I have my 12v, with fully ported/polished fresh head, 180 pump w/ rack plug, 4ks, fully modded AFC, yatta yatta, ported manifold, stock longblock. The longblock is all together, I have all accessories, etc for it, and a brand new 63/68/.88 for it (which I'll be keeping either way) The motor has 178k on it, 0 miles on my mods. I plan on like 5x14s for it, and a 188/210 cam, basically a roughly 500hp engine.

BUT....

I have a lead on a stock early 305hp CR minus turbo, manifold, AC compressor, PS pump, and it has 215k on it. I may be able to get the ECM and harness for it from him too. They claim only mods that's ever been on it is a FASS, Diablo predator and powerpuck, with which it made 435/820. (none of these performance parts included), I can probably just about trade even for the CR for my 12v, I may have to throw up a couple hundred towards it, but I have a nitrous kit that would make up for that.

I'm just wondering, what would y'all do in this situation? I figure with the 12v I know exactly what I have, it'll be very simple to swap into the Ford, but I'm beginning to like the CRs alot.. Give me input guys, I'm having a hard time making a decision.

The only way I would do a CR motor is if it were EFI-Live compatible. The 03 motor can easily be ran with an 06-07 ecm.

Bullsh!t...the early motors are just fine without EFI Live, which they say they're shooting for a mid year release on anyway.
No need to change ECM's and all the harness bs that goes with it.

I meant to mention the CR is an early '04 305hp, I missed the 04 in there. EFI live will be available for them soon, not really worried about that, I'll be starting out with a Smarty anyways.

Bullsh!t...the early motors are just fine without EFI Live, which they say they're shooting for a mid year release on anyway.
No need to change ECM's and all the harness bs that goes with it.

Beat me to it Richard. I was hoping you'd chime in.... how bad was the CR swap in your truck? Would you do it again if you built another Fummins? (BTW which is my favorite truck there is) Which trans are you running?

I wouldn't do the CR unless I got new injectors with it. Remans run ~1400, and that's what both my trucks have with no problems.

That's an extra expense on top of the CR, but I'm a CR fan so..... The 12v, as-is, probably the cheaper option and likely more reliable. Might as well go with what you have.

Of course, most just swap the 12v, so be different and go CR

Last edited:
Ay

Beat me to it Richard. I was hoping you'd chime in.... how bad was the CR swap in your truck? Would you do it again if you built another Fummins? (BTW which is my favorite truck there is) Which trans are you running?

The swap was super easy for me...I just wrote checks. Joe Hellmann might have a different story though. LOL
No way I'd personally run a 12v...I just like the easy tuning on electronic motors. Literally smoke free 800+ hp at the touch of a few buttons...with the right parts of course. If I built another one I'd do the same motor all over again...early 03.

Well, I sure wish I was fortunate enough to write Joe Hellman a check and tell him to have at it! :hehe:
Thanks for the input man.

I forgot...I'm running a 48re with billet input and intermediate plus all the other normal full build grand parts.

Hmm.. 48re... I'm hoping I can get the tuning right on this 4r either way I go.

For that year truck I'd sure go with the C.R. if the one youre looking at is a known good motor and you have the extra bux to throw at it. The driveability factor alone would make the choice for me...... and like unbroken said almost smoke free performance that you can tune from the drivers seat!

Mmmm. Predator and power puck. Doesnt that make for melted pistons? Make sure you have the guy pull the head on the cr.

Joe

The engine is fine. The Predator and Puck are made to work with each other. Even then the Puck was rarely used.

Back