CR Vs VP head

sstockton

So I am starting to build up my truck as a race truck, and before I go crazy with fuel, air and spray, I want to address the head. I want to run a ported and ringed head, and am trying to decide if the conversion to a CR head is going to gain me anything over sticking with a VP style head.

Are there any years of CR heads that are better than the others as far as flow or being more or less prone to cracking? What needs to be modified to make the CR head fit the VP truck? And also who would you recommend for porting work, and cutting for rings?

Sean

The CR head flows more air. You will need custom lines and that's it.

well that doesn't seem too bad. I thought some oil or coolant passages had to be machined to work.
Sean

1 coolant passage needs to be massaged. Lines do not need to be custom, the connector tubes are the special part.

Search, it has been detailed on here.

If you wanna go really fast, spend the money on a P-Pump before you go doing headwork on a VP motor that may make 1k if you put 450 HP worth of spray on it.

Well, I definitely want to P-pump it, but why throw a ton of fuel at it before it can handle it. I figure this way I can still drive it on the street until I have the cash to throw a properly built 13mm pump. Since it will at least want bigger twins on there, and I will need to ring it, why not do it once and do it right.

Ideally, I would build a complete engine on the bench and just drop it in, p-pump and all.

Also, I have been searching the CR head swap on here, and I am not really coming up with what I had hoped. Maybe my search skills just aren't up to par. Do any of you have links or remember what key words you searched under to find information pertaining to this.

Thanks,
Sean

1 coolant passage needs to be massaged. Lines do not need to be custom, the connector tubes are the special part.

Search, it has been detailed on here.

What coolant passage needs to be massaged?

Maybe it was the head gasket? Hell I forget, I know something has to elongated to line up. Oil return perhapse.

So would you guys run a VP style head gasket with it, or the CR MLS head gasket?
Sean

IC-smoke has a good write up floating around somewhere not exactly sure where but i remember that one of the coolant passages needed to be opened up a little and a few trims on the head gasket as well. He was using an 06 CR head IIRC.

Ok, I will look for his write up. I finally started to find a little more info on it from about a year ago. Anyways, seems like there are some issues with running a P'pump on it. I know it is possible though, I was just tallking with a guy this weekend at the norcal diesel rally that had a CR head on his p-pumped 24v. I should have taken a look at it while I was there.
Sean

You have to clearance the head to make it clear the Ppump. Not sure on the VP.

You probably talked to chad, CL2000 on here, with the blue truck, the cr head needs to have the intake plenum machined off to clear the vp I believe, the cr head doesnt have that indentation in it that the vp head does... Im not positive on this but something to look at.

No, it was a guy from Fresno that had his done by brown's. But yeah Chad was there and a bit closer to me. He is friends with some of my friends so I will probably give him and/or the guys at LCD a call.
Sean

You probably talked to chad, CL2000 on here, with the blue truck, the cr head needs to have the intake plenum machined off to clear the vp I believe, the cr head doesnt have that indentation in it that the vp head does... Im not positive on this but something to look at.

The CR head will clear the VP44 fine. Although it wont clear the P-pump. Not sure what it takes to make it work with the P-pump but its a pretty easy swap if you got a VP44. I used the stock 01 head gasket.

Well maybe I will pick this one up, and then when I go to a p-pump I can slap the stock head back on and get the manifold cut off of the CR head. Maybe throw a side draft ZZ fab manifold on it.
Sean

If you are going to hack the intake off and port it anyhow, the CR head isn't really going to buy you anything over a VP head.

Thats what I wasn't sure of. I will have to see if I can find a vp head closer than the ones I have found. My main thing is that I don't want to have a lot of down time with my truck right now.
Sean

Thats what I wasn't sure of. I will have to see if I can find a vp head closer than the ones I have found. My main thing is that I don't want to have a lot of down time with my truck right now.
Sean

The main advantage of the stock CR head is that it will outflow a stock VP head. If you are going to run it stock for awhile and later down the road have it ported, intake plenum, etc, then I would say the CR would be the better bet if there is one close. $.02

Back