Crab walking

Mudn_1

Sweet Home
Just watching ppl and alot of the trucks would crab walk for 20-30 feet after unhooking the sled. What causes this? I'm assuming the frame twists some and has to rest? But just curious.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Most likely different gear ratios being used in either differential

Because they are so light in the back end, most of their weight is at the centerline of the front axle or forward. You can pick the rear of my truck up with two people

Because they are so light in the back end, most of their weight is at the centerline of the front axle or forward. You can pick the rear of my truck up with two people

Ha, that Never crossed my mind. There's Not many pulling trucks down my way. so We dont know much about them. But that makes complete sense

The Track Did seem muddy, It was like they dragged the ass end for 20 feet or so then it straigtened up.

The Track Did seem muddy, It was like they dragged the ass end for 20 feet or so then it straigtened up.

Yeah, it's a combination of all the weight on the solid front axle, no weight on the rear wheels, and slippery conditions. I've seen them not even be able to get off the track without a few people pushing the rear sideways because they won't turn.

Some people run different ratios front and rear, like 4.63 and 4.56, however that doesn't make them crabwalk as most people people disengage the front end after they leave the sled weather it is with hubs or by knocking the transfer case back to 2wd if they don't have a drop box.

Trust me. These things don't steer worth a $hit. LOL

Most people run a faster gear/ larger tire in the front to spin the tire faster thus reducing the chances of the wheels hopping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not what I am confused on. I understand the gearing aspect of it.

Some people run different ratios front and rear, like 4.63 and 4.56, however that doesn't make them crabwalk
Most trucks 3.0 and up are running drop box and reversers and cannot switch between 2wd and 4wd. Depending on the truck and class the OP was watching I would assume one of the 2 options, either faster gearing in the front, thus "dragging" the ass end along and/or the majority of the weight on the front axle, creating the tendency to lift the rear and "push" the opposite direction you steer. Also depending on your train of thought, some people run a MUCH faster gear in the front than rear.

Most trucks 3.0 and up are running drop box and reversers and cannot switch between 2wd and 4wd. Depending on the truck and class the OP was watching I would assume one of the 2 options, either faster gearing in the front, thus "dragging" the ass end along and/or the majority of the weight on the front axle, creating the tendency to lift the rear and "push" the opposite direction you steer. Also depending on your train of thought, some people run a MUCH faster gear in the front than rear.
A lot of those gearing ideas come from the 4wd mod class. I've heard stories of trucks back in the day that their fronts and rears were so far apart gear wise, that to be towed around they needed to put the rear end on dollies so they wouldn't bind just rolling straight

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

A lot of those gearing ideas come from the 4wd mod class. I've heard stories of trucks back in the day that their fronts and rears were so far apart gear wise, that to be towed around they needed to put the rear end on dollies so they wouldn't bind just rolling straight

Yes, personally in years past we've ran as much as a .75 spread with favorable results.

Thats kind of what it looks like, "Dragging the ass the along"

Numerous gasser guys have a wheel that pops down to lift the reared off the ground.

Back