Cracked 1994 12V Block all stock with 130k miles

rauautomotive

the truck is completely stock 1994 Dodge 2500 Reg Cab 2wd 5 Speed with only 130k miles on it, was a one owner truck owned by 79 year old guy that sold it since he never drove it anymore, it sat in garage for last 3 years. the truck is spotless with no oil leaks or grime anywhere, well about a month after i bought it i started smelling the sweet coolant smell, so i figured maybe a leaking radiator or head gasket leak.

It wasn't eaither, it was a small crack on side of block below the lip that the freeze plugs face is, not on back end of block like the 53 block trucks. I was hoping it was the freeze plug as it was below the one that has the block heater in it but no it is a crack. I felt the area and it does seem to have a casting indent line a little where the crack is.

Never seen a 12V have this issue. i sanded area down and Filled in area with some JB Weld High temp and it stopped leak for now, just wondering if anyone has ever seen or heard of this issue before with a 1994 Cummins?

I know i am most likely going to have to put a new motor or at least a different block in it as the JB Weld probably wont' hold long term, just a bummer since truck is so clean and bone stock, didn't think i would have a issue like this.

Every now and then casting goes bad. I read about another that cracked between the #1 and #2 cylinders and gave the owner a lot of grief before he figured it out.

Being that the crack is where it is, I dont know that I would pull that motor. It sounds like a pretty fresh motor. I would take the chance and weld it/build a little material up in the Indention. Whats the worst that can happen at this point. Just make sure to preheat before welding and cool slow after welding and it will be fine.

Back